Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTN DIY approach ("visual approach") feature

mancival wrote:

how about waypoints that are saved automatically by the GTN as permanent waypoints during normal flight operations, without any intention or awareness of the pilot to save them:

When does the GTN automatically save waypoints? (I haven’t noticed.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If you are approaching a limiting runway in VMC/VFR, what is your aiming point?

EGKB Biggin Hill

But this would be the exception rather than the rule?

EGNS, Other

Interesting question. Do not most long runways have IAPs? Yes, we can think of exceptions like Kemble, North Weald and Elvington, but is not the reality that these Visual Approaches will mainly be used on little runways?

If so, they may be the rule, not the exception.

On how many VFR runways do we make the aiming point 300m in from the threshold?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

If you are approaching a limiting runway in VMC/VFR, what is your aiming point?

At my home base 630 m runway, I’m aiming to touch down about 100 m beyond the threshold. But then my descent gradient on final approach is about 9% compared to the 5.2% you get with a 3° glidepath.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 26 Aug 12:17
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ok, well perhaps there are legal reasons for it.

EGNS, Other

mancival wrote:

Thanks Pete, but how about waypoints that are saved automatically by the GTN as permanent waypoints during normal flight operations, without any intention or awareness of the pilot to save them:

If you happen to have a FS210 or FS510 and import flightplans via BT, the GTN will create a user waypoint for each lat-long waypoint in your route. It can be annoying as these accumulate over time. There are capabilities to delete all user waypoints and to delete all flightplans. It only involves a few taps. To delete all flightplans, press home, tap flightplans>Menu>Catalog>Delete All>OK. To delete all user waypoints, press home, tap waypoint info>User Waypoint>View List>Menu>Delete All>OK. The latest version of the software is now 6.41.

KUZA, United States

Visual approaches in the GTN is not intended as a DIY approach in IMC. It is listed in the AFMS under limitations, section 2, which in the US is the only part of the AFMS that is regulatory and must be obeyed:

2.33 Advisory Visual Approaches
All advisory visual approaches shall be conducted in VMC. Advisory visual approaches are intended to be used as an aid to situational awareness and do not guarantee terrain or obstruction clearance along the approach path. Use of advisory visual approaches in IMC is prohibited.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 26 Aug 20:16
KUZA, United States

Airborne_Again wrote:

When does the GTN automatically save waypoints? (I haven’t noticed.)

Ok, these are pictures from today flying. The first 3 user-defined waypoints have been created by myself as permanent waypoints and are always there. The last 2 I have no idea how they got created, and in order to delete them, I have to cancel all saved flightplans (shown in the second picture), which, also, I have no idea how they ended up being saved. Once I cancel the last 2 waypoints and all flightplans, they reappear again after few days of flying, and I have to cancel them again, etc….

United Kingdom

NCYankee wrote:

If you happen to have a FS210 or FS510 and import flightplans via BT

I don’t import any flightplan via BT or via anything else, which makes even more mysterious why the names of the automated waypoints in the above picture are followed by “generated by fpl impor”.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message