Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA allows medical self declaration (PMD) for certified aircraft within the UK

I’ve just done this and got the e-mail though, but the text seems to be outdated – basically says you can’t use the PMD to fly EASA aircraft. I assume this is an error?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Charlie wrote:

I’ve just done this and got the e-mail though, but the text seems to be outdated – basically says you can’t use the PMD to fly EASA aircraft. I assume this is an error?

The question is what “EASA aircraft” means. It is (as far as I know) not used in any EU regulation but is an informal way to designate non-Annex I aircraft.

So the question is what – if anything – the term “EASA aircraft” means today when applied to G-reg. The regulation that Peter quoted above instead uses the terms “UK (G-registered) Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft” which is quite clear and would mean any G-reg.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The question is what “EASA aircraft” means.

The term is defined in Schedule 1 to the UK Air Navigation Order, which is recommended (and pleasantly soporific) bedtime reading for those of us to whose activity it is relevant:

“EASA aircraft” means an aircraft which is required by the Basic EASA Regulation and any implementing rules adopted by the Commission in accordance with that Regulation to hold an EASA certificate of airworthiness, an EASA restricted certificate of airworthiness or an EASA permit to fly;

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

@flybymike do you know if this issue above has been addressed?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Current interpretations of the latest CAA pronouncement seem to be that;

Holders of UK-Part FCL licences may fly (part 21 or non-part 21) aircraft with a PMD, provided they can sign up to the PMD statements for aircraft <5,700Kg; That is to say the conditions in parts a)-e) under “Holders of UK national and Part-FCL Licences, to fly any aircraft less than 5700kg MTOM” here https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/pilot-licences/medical-requirements/medical-requirements-for-private-pilots/

What has gone is the ability for UK-Part FCL licence holders to fly (any aircraft) using the reduced requirements under “Holders of UK national licences only, to only fly aircraft no greater than 2000 kg MTOM” in the above document.

(It is hoped, and assumed that the sub 2000kg alleviation will be reinstated in the not too distant future.)

Meanwhile, National licence holders may fly non part 21 aircraft with an alleviated PMD, or also a part 21 (also with alleviated PMD) aircraft for up to 12 hours up until 21st June using, and subject to, the conditions of this exemption.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1471.pdf local copy here.

As I understand it, the previous exemption allowing PMDs to be used with part 21 aircraft up to March 31st are now superseded by the above.

Last Edited by flybymike at 08 Mar 13:58
Egnm, United Kingdom

It is hoped, and assumed that the sub 2000kg alleviation will be reinstated in the not too distant future

I would not bet on this, because more than a year ago one AME I spoke to had been told by the CAA that anyone who ever made the PMD declaration previously, and has since had any of the medical conditions which were previously exempted < 2000kg, is now “required by the CAA” to get a Class 2. And this is even if the said pilot is not needing any CAA medical to fly (yes; this is bizzare). I was not able to get any more detail on this and suspected it was one of the many under the table initiatives by the CAA medical department, but this looks like the removal of the < 2000kg PMD privileges was a “plan all along” which had been brewing for 1-2 years and they waited for an opportunity.

Administrator

New UK Medical Exemption – PMD available again with original conditions below 2000kg

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4%201487%20.pdf

Great news – CAA released new ORS that allows U.K. FCL PPL holders to make a med declaration for flying day/night VFR up to 2000kg as long as you can drive a car and not taking psych medication. Valid for a year while they make it permanent.

I suspect the vast majority of U.K. ‘leisure’ pilots will move to this route now.

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

Have they removed the IR(R) from that list?

EGTR
No IRR is ok if you make the over 2000kg declaration / standards — this is for the below 2000kg and reduced standards
Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I think this finally addresses this.

Or is this for both Annex 1 and certified?

A few years ago I could fly my TB20 on the PMD

Administrator
Sign in to add your message