Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Women in General Aviation

Receiving instructions from a female with a German accent is entirely normal for me!

I've noticed on a couple of United Airlines flights into Germany, listening in on ATC from the cabin that the controllers in Germany tend to be women.

In the US I find there is no fixed pilot personality profile, nor any pilot fixed training profile, nor any fixed aircraft profile, nor any fixed aircraft maintenance profile. Its all up to the individual, and the individuals can and do take markedly different approaches that do not strongly correlate to their income.

The reason for female controllers is simple: Men take commands from women easierly, whereas women don't mind where command come frome. Some systems are build with that in mind. Female commands for security relevant announcements and wrong settings( like GEAR UP) and male for correct settings (GEAR DOWN). I know a researcher at Cov university.

United Kingdom

So, you mean females are good at telling us men that we have messed up, while men are always right

I think the female voice is much clearer. There is no doubt that of the options on any satnav GPS I have had, the female voice was always the clearest over background noise.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aviation attracts more than its fair share of men who are weirdos, misfits, in possession of a large ego, Walter Mitty types and generally lacking in social skills.

That's why there aren't many ladies.

Of course some of us are normal ;-)

EGLM & EGTN

"Aviation attracts more than its fair share of men who are weirdos, misfits, in possession of a large ego, Walter Mitty types and generally lacking in social skills".

Maybe that's more light aviation? I would have thought that airlines would have weeded out most of the weirdos and misfits etc. at their selection stage.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

I would have thought that airlines would have weeded out most of the weirdos and misfits etc. at their selection stage.

My observation is that most airline pilots have learned to fake being normal quite well :-)

There aren't many women, which is hardly suprising.

It's an interesting topic to mull over, but perhaps not on a public forum.

When I dared express more or less the same sentiment elsewhere, I got torpedoed off the face of the planet by the usual bully boys. A small minority, perhaps, but very vociferous.

The women had zilch to say about it (are we are our own worst enemies?). From memory, I think one lone poster waded in when he felt the nuking had gone far enough.

Anyway, I like you guys on here and have no wish to fall out with you over such a contentious topic. So don't worry, I'll say no more...

But it leaves a bitter taste.

Bordeaux

I think it is quite a chauvinist activity - particularly in the UK from what I have seen. EuroGA is pretty sensible but I understand why the overall training environment can be unappealing for women to be a part of.

UK aviation has a very blokey, RAF style. Very different from the US or Australia IMHO. Don't know about the rest of Europe.

EGTK Oxford

This is what made me take flying lessons

All I got was spend time with guys like you. What a disappointment!

I wonder if all the stuff we have to go through ensures that only people of a certain character end up flying planes in the long term.

That was the case in the military where I was once part of the training and assessment system. We needed people who could do a job without incurring additional training costs and risks. In the civil World its quite different, if you have enough money you will get there in the end, subject to the usual element of luck, right place right time and a few mates in the right place.

In recreational flying surely its anyone's prerogative to have a go, the system is there is ensure a minimum standard of safety, nothing more. If you have enough money to pay the bills and enough ability to pass the tests that's it, there are no other checks of suitability other than the medical, being of sound mind etc.

UK aviation has a very blokey, RAF style.

If you think that you should have seen it 50 years ago!

Sign in to add your message