Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sentimental bias

For no practical reason I have always thought the Cessna 180 (C through G) to be a great personal aircraft. 140 KTAS and the ability to use 200-300 metre farm strips. Great ramp presence and because it is a business asset in Alaska hold their value. The beefier 185 is able to have a better payload on skis and floats, but for personal use the 180 is more practical with better range and economy. The H, J and K versions have a higher empty weight and the same airframe as the 185.

If they were still manufactured Cessna might charge around $500k plus. Good examples start $100k and up, this for a nearly sixty year old airframe. Well maintained 185 would be $250k plus reflecting its cash flow value in commercial ops in AK.

However if I compare it to a Warrior, for personal use the ubiquitous Warrior may win out. Both are fixed gear but the 180 needs someone who understands the tailwheel and the tailplane jackscrew trim mechanism. The 180 has a constant speed propeller, and airframe maintenance is likely to be higher (age of airframe and complexity, plus main landing gear box). The 0-470 has two more cylinders and will be using 2 to 4 gallons per hour more.TBO is lower and overhaul cost is higher. Insurance will be higher being tailwheel, farm strip capable and probably twice or three times the hull value. The 180 at 1700lbs empty weight is not easy to move around during ground handling, so sharing a hangar UK style (ie rubik cube) is complicated. Your average person can move a Warrior around with the nose wheel attachment.

For your average 200-300nm trip there is little between them, both being able to carry four people (OK the Warrior would be more like 2+2) and not much difference in time enroute, with the Warrior being more comfortable in the rear.

The 180 comes into its own if your sector is four people and 500nm, but how often is that.

The Warrior is not able to use most farm strips, but the 180 is not a Super Cub. The 185 with that beautiful sound, to a few, when the propeller tips go supersonic, would probably shut down most farm strips.

Finally a Warrior can earn its living being leased to a well managed club (around 10% after tax ROCE). The 180 can earn a lot more …in Alaska.

Fortunately have not come across a nice early 1960’s Cessna 180 in Europe to test my business resolve.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

What about the 182? It’s not as cool as the 180 and has the novice wheel at the front. But again very competent shorter farm strip machine.

I too hanker after a 180 or 185 at times.

What about the 182?

Thumbs up – with a 310 or 206 nosewheel/fork, 8.50 tyres and BAS. Not sure the background to the Costa Rican registration.

However if I compare it to a Warrior, for personal use the ubiquitous Warrior may win out.

Hardly…. The 180 can cruise at 116kts IAS at 36L per hour at 18"/2100rpm. Maintenance is easy, as is moving one around on your own on 8.50×6 tires. A 180 will go anywhere a 90hp PA18 will. More room in the back than a Warrior, and two doors to get in. Lots of ways you could get a return on investment using a 180, but simply owning a 180 is a better store of value than money in the bank.

One is like having a trophy wife, one is like having a fat compromise kind of girlfriend.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Lots of ways you could get a return on investment using a 180

In Europe? Their main commercial use today is as a year round pick up truck for hunting/fishing/mountaineering lodges on floats and skis in BC, Yukon and Alaska. Not sure many earn a living doing aerial work in Europe, and would never be profitable on an AOC.

A decent Cessna 180 is easily twice/thrice the value of a Warrior, but can’t think of a business model in Europe which would generate a reasonable return on the value.

One is like having a trophy wife, one is like having a fat compromise kind of girlfriend.

In today’s enlightened times, I was surprised to read this remark. I spent some time wondering how to react. Should I, for the umpteenth time, just let it go? Is it really worth the hassle (risk) of commenting on it? From past experience, I have come to think that it may be a mistake. Will I be told that I “lack a sense of humour”, that I shouldn’t be so easily “offended”, that there’s “too much political correctness” these days and – hell – “boys will be boys, no harm intended”?

Maybe.

In this context, may I point readers to the discussion here → https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/10057-women …. (which seemingly failed to attract a single post by a woman on this forum, although I can’t be absolutely sure. If that is true, I wonder why?)

Apologies for the thread drift. I loved the video you posted @RobertL18C

Jenny

Bordeaux

Thank you Jenny, perhaps William or the mods can edit?

Looking at trade-a-plane the early 180, which could be found a few years ago for $60k, all go for healthy six figures. There is now a cottage industry converting early Cessna 182 with the same fuselage as the 180 to tailwheel, a bit like the Tri-Pacer from flying milkstool to Pacer.

In today’s enlightened times, I was surprised to read this remark. I spent some time wondering how to react.

I have to say I agree, but only because I dont know how either aeroplane is comparable to a trophy wife…

Perhaps a better analogy would be

“One is like a safe middle aged slightly overweight husband, the other is like a buff tanned handyman living from job to job”…

I wonder how many men will feel offended by this analogy, and post about it…

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 12 Nov 07:38

Jojo wrote:

In today’s enlightened times, I was surprised to read this remark. I spent some time wondering how to react.

Quite. I agree with Jenny.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

skydriller wrote:

One is like a safe middle aged slightly overweight husband, the other is like a buff tanned handyman living from job to job

A man walking down the street seeing a naked women in a window, and he is a peeper. A woman walking down the street seeing a naked man in the window, and he is exposing. (not exactly sure of the English terms, but I think you get it )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message