Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA opinion: All N-regs in Europe are illegal

How many aircrafts fall under that statement?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

No reason to spread other FUD here. I think a less yellow-press-ish title would have done it, too.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I see your point mh about the specific meaning of the term “opinion” but the average member of the GA flying public has an expectation to be given the correct information. He/she is not going to read x 1000 pages of EASA FCL which anyway only the most dedicated students of EASA regs know where to find stuff in, let alone understand it.

One of the reasons I posted this here is that very likely many others have been told the same by someone in that department.

This is pretty serious stuff, because it drives buying and selling decisions involving 6 figures. If someone posted that e.g. every SR22 made in 2005 is rubbish and should be avoided because the engine frame breaks and falls off, they would rightly get taken apart. Here, some EASA employee is saying that every N-reg SR22 in Europe is illegal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No PPL needs 1000 pages FCL. The relevant 5 pages for their license is enough.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

What possible reason could there be for declining to put a name to such an alleged email from “someone at EASA” other than doubt as to its authenticity?

For my part, I’m afraid that someone is pulling Peter’s leg – I don’t believe that anyone “at EASA” would write such drivel.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Here, some EASA employee is saying that every N-reg SR22 in Europe Denmark is illegal.

Well, the Danish CAA is saying that, but they’re also arguing that non-Danish EASA reg is illegal. It has real impact on the planes you’re willing to look at as a transfer of registration is a bureaucratic sisyphean task.

EGTR

Yes, there is this.

Jacko – simply that I didn’t get consent to post any more info. The person who told me of this doesn’t want the person and his/her department investigated. I don’t personally have a name, anyway. I don’t think it is a windup. If it was a windup it would be from 1 or 2 individuals (no guessing, please ) and the last thing they want is more traffic on EuroGA.

Administrator

Unless someone can point me to a specific page and paragraph in an actual regulatory document, I take anything some bureaucrat tells me with a pinch of salt.

Andreas IOM

The 6 month rule is for foreign entities or foreign nationals owning US-registered planes. I was myself one of those for years. Then the plane can not spend more than 6 -months abroad, and you as an owner have to keep and be able to provide a logbook showing that at least 60% of the yearly flight hours took place within the US or its territories. Each year they request your affidavit in relation to that.

Many thanks Adam for this info. It is what I suspected from distant memory.

Incidentally doesn’t this mean that a non US citizen / green card holder could buy an N-reg in the US, import it, and it would be 6 months before it becomes illegal?

Currently, it is generally believed that if a US trustee dies, the aircraft is grounded immediately – until somebody (who meets the requirements) inherits the trust. Well, in most the cases the N-reg aircraft will have been out of the US for a long time when that happens…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message