Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Multiple concurrent flight plans - possible or not (also flight plans with many flight rule changes)

I don’t think you can close your live FP while in the air (IFR or VFR does not matter), exceptionally, some controllers may do this for you as “favour” when landing uncontrolled…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You can, under certain conditions.

Last Edited by airways at 07 Jan 14:39
EBST, Belgium

Ibra wrote:

I don’t think you can close your live FP while in the air (IFR or VFR does not matter), exceptionally, some controllers may do this for you as “favour” when landing uncontrolled…

I have closed my VFR flight plan in the air multiple times at various small fields. However, a cancelled IFR FPL is not closed, it is merely downgraded to VFR.

ESME, ESMS

Ibra wrote:

It apparently depends on the country. In Sweden it is explicitly permitted.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, in the UK when landing VFR uncontrolled no one cares or even know how to close an FP…
In France, I got mixed experiences: Lille info proposing to close mine while in circuit for landing in Calais non-towered, so I dared asking Paris info to do the same while landing at Nevers but they offered me a lecture instead

My experience in France has been pretty consistent with what is stated in the AIP, i.e. you can close flight plans in the air that do not involve a border crossing. Also if start and end point are in France and you have had border crossings in between.

Actually, It was the opposite in my case (to my suprise), Nevers was a VFR flight within France (that did not require an FP, still I sent one in case) while Calais I was inbound from the UK, but I think Lille info does “manage it” when un-towered?

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Jan 23:39

HELLO``

As AIRBONE says :

There is two differents things :

If you depart IFR (on IFR or Y rules) and then cancel the FPL, because you are in VMC for flying in the valley, you are automatically under VFR FPL for the following part of your flight and you will be very lucky if ATC give you another IFR clearance : no interest !

but If you depart IFR with Y rules, you have just to give your IFR/VFR transition in your routing and finish your flight with Y rules in VMC or you can indicate a second waypoint when Z would be probably mandatory because IMC or for your convenience.

So Stay IFR rules (IFR Y or Z) and you can negociate the next waypoints to amend the FPL !

Adls
LFPU, France
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message