Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skylane avoids accident with F16 on runway

Cttime wrote:

I have to say though I don’t understand why anyone would be downplaying the controllers much greater mistake here….Not giving him a LAHSO clearance

I think they did a mistake not issuing a LAHSO but maybe they found those jets easier to plan/move around rather than asking the guy to vacate the runway? or they were planning to issue Go-Around or TAHSO (take-off and hold short) to F16s ?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think he’s right to feel aggrieved, wrong to use his aggrievement to pamper his own ego.
ATC should not presume anything on the part of either pilot and should CONTROL traffic so that safety is ensured.
It cannot be disputed that there was the POTENTIAL for collision here and that potential was facilitated by the controller.
Should’ve, would’ve, could’ve has no place at a controlled airfield.

Forever learning
EGTB

Stickandrudderman wrote:

ATC should not presume anything on the part of either pilot and should CONTROL traffic so that safety is ensured

We don’t know everything here. It’s a tower after all, they could very well see him land and decelerate, and most probably did. Then they wondered why he suddenly appeared on the crossing to 25 when he knew to F-16s were coming. He was cleared to land, and that’s what he did. Then he continued taxi on the runway instead of taking the first taxiway. Even with no crossing runway, this is rather “unusual” behavior. It looks like he actually believes he got the entire runway to himself, even though he did land.

The error of the tower was they didn’t pay enough attention to him. In all fairness, the only reason they should pay attention (after they saw him land), was to look for weird behavior. A miss by the tower, yes, but from there to say he prevented a collision is a long step. It was him that caused the potential danger in the first place, and the tower failed to notice it and correct it, which they should.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message