Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA heel dragging on GPS approaches, including LPV, and approaches with no ATC, and CAP1122

Oh, like many I’ve ran numerous arguments/mitigations etc. I think that, deep down, there are those who feel threatened by the removal of the requirement for ATC under such scenarios. They appear to be almost completely blind to the fact that we are talking about uncontrolled airspace and the associated risks (background noise) which are always present.

This one will take an adult to make a decision and, I suspect, a change to the ANO.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

The difficulty is that all the potential adults are ex controllers.

EGKB Biggin Hill

And another question – does anyone know what is the new official route to get an approval for IAP OCAS?

CAP 1122 does not appear to be valid anymore:

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=6252
View File: Not available for download
Purchase Copy: Printed copy not available for purchase

“Please be advised that the CAA is not currently accepting applications for CAP1122 approval. Please contact [email protected] for any further information.”

EGTR

Hmmm… very interesting!

It turns out that I had saved that CAP1122 document in 2016 – here. I do this routinely nowadays because the CAA habitually publishes something and then withdraws it, so the discussion becomes meaningless.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It sounds like the above CAP1122 has been superseded by CAP1616 – here and here for the big and smaller PDFs respectively.

Administrator

The reality is almost no one does this sort of stuff. Never mind GPS approaches, I spent some time recently at two largish regional airports that would normally have a reasonable flow of GA traffic on a day that was completely flyable, but with low bases. There was barely a movement all day, I should think the chances of two aircraft showing up at the same airport any where in the UK at the same time in proper IMC is somewhat less than nil and slightly less than never.

The perceived problem is not on days with 300’ cloudbases, but on days when the VFR circuit is active and IFR traffic is making approaches either for convenience or for training.

EGKB Biggin Hill

and IFR traffic is making approaches either for convenience or for training.

or for the increased safety which one gets by flying a defined procedure – especially when there is VFR traffic around, some known, some unknown, much of it non-transponding…

Administrator

You shouldnt be flying a training approach without an observer. You dont need to be making an approach for convenience or training if there is circuit traffic and no AT

I get it that the cloudbase might be 1,000 feet and you want to do a cloudbreak and there is ciruit traffic, but you are likely to be able to organise the break outside the immediate circuit.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 24 Aug 20:21

It’s a different scenario if you are flying something faster like a bizjet, which can’t fly a circuit behind a PA28. In that situation you are relying on ATC to manage the situation; if there is no ATC then you have a problem…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message