Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Unexpected outcome medical examination due to new EASA rule. VDL becomes VML without a logical reason

Hello,

I had a strange issue with my medical check-up this week. I was confronted with a new EASA rule that states that one with a relative high myopia (-4) a restriction to the medical certificate will be given for VML instead of the initial restriction of VDL. The tests consisted of one at long distance, a test at 100cm distance and a test at approx. 30cm.

The test was at first conducted with eye correction. In my case all tests were very succesful with my single (far) distance correction, which means all requirements were met and I would receive only a VDL restriction…..at least I thought that was the case…
Then I had to do the test without any correction. 30cm was ok, but at 100cm I was unable to read the test.
According to my medical examiner this is the reason that I need correction for defective distant, intermediate and near vision (VML). I must have the specticles with me, but it is not mandetory to use them (!).
Not finding any reason what so ever for this restriction I went to my optician. He said as expected: “you don’t need them”. As I just turned 40 and, accourding to my optician it could not be the issue (yet).

It seems that I am caught between rules made for pilots who need both near vision (reading) spectacles and a correction for distant vision.

I hope someone here can give me advise on how to act in this situation as I need something I realy don’t need

Thank you!

Joep

Netherlands

If you failed the test at 100cm w/o correction, your intermediate vision is impaired. Therefore VML is the right restriction and not VDL (which would only apply if your uncorrected long distance vision is impaired but uncorrected near and intermediate vision is within limits).

As long as unifocal glasses/lenses correct your distant and intermediate vision adequately, there is no practical difference between VDL and VML.

Germany

Can this not be solved with bifocals?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies,

As I can accomodate both distances with Unifocal lenses an extra correction is not needed. Still my examiner stated I need multifocal glasses/ lenses. As I persisted in questioning the rule and the outcome that I need the multi/bifocals, my medical examiner is now informing with our responsible ministry. Hope they have some understanding of how it really works with people with myopia between -2 and -6 (max allowable).

@Peter, bifocal is nog giving me an advantage, because I can accomodate 30cm with the same correction as distant vision. Therefore bifocals wil impare my vision rather then improving it. That is why it did not make sense to me, because there is nothing to solve ;)

Kind regards,
Joep

Netherlands

Joep wrote:

Still my examiner stated I need multifocal glasses/lenses

Did he really say that? Yes, you need correction for distance and intermediate vision, but in your case, this is achieved with unifocal lenses, which corrects both. No specific method of correction is prescribed.

Biggin Hill

Note that the glasses which you use to pass your medical need not relate “in reality” to those you fly with

Many people use different corrections for the two. This is partly because the eye test involves close-up reading which is a lot closer than the instrument panel may be. In my case, for example, for optimal vision, I would have one correction for infinity, one for the instrument panel, and one for a kneeboard. This is impossible to do legally, other than possibly with varifocals but those can be a bugger if you want to fly tight circuits to land because you will have less than great vision to the left. It can be done by having different corrections for different eyes but that isn’t legal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I would have one correction for infinity, one for the instrument panel, and one for a kneeboard. This is impossible to do legally, other than possibly with varifocals…

I have that problem, too, but solve it using bifocals with a distant correction between what would be optimal for infinity and intermediate. In that way, I don’t get optimal correction but good enough to pass the requirements for the medical.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I guess progressive lenses can be made to correct distant and intermediate vision. I use progressive lenses for all distances (left eye only for reading and right eye all) but I’m over 50 and I have VML since last checkup (before I had VMD). Although I can pass all tests with my left eye, I guess I got VML because I need correction for all distances for right eye. In reality I feel better with correction for close vision for both eyes when reading in low light conditions.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I turned to be right after all! Our ministry (ILenT) stated that VML is the proper limitation, but I can use my own correction. The problem was that my Medical examiner wanted me to show the right recepe for VML glasses. That is now solved and I will receive my medical with VML.

Case Closed!

Thanks for your replies and maybe this can be used by others for future reference.

Kind regards,
Joep

Netherlands

Peter wrote:

This is impossible to do legally,

Why? Just get tri-focals. I have a pair like that which I use for night flying, for day time the bi-focals (distant and near) are good enough, as my eyes can accommodate the very near (i.e. chart) in daylight but struggle in low light conditions. Both these spectacles are corrected for intermediate (i.e. panel) and distance. In daily life I use different ones.

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message