Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Low wing versus high wing

Crisp and responsive roll control (no pendulum delay like a high wing)
Absolute sex appeal (high wing is what fishermen use in Alaska)
And, let’s face it, all the fast planes are low wing.

High = practical, stodgy pickup truck ride
Low = thrilling, fast sports car handling

All good arguments in favour of high wing, but in this age of social inclusion we must respect and support the low-wingers, trans-wingers and non-binary-wingers among us.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

All good arguments in favour of high wing, but in this age of social inclusion we must respect and support the low-wingers, trans-wingers and non-binary-wingers among us.

Queer-winger?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The problem with low wing aircraft and ditching: too many of them have only one door, and many of them with better egress/ingress facilities have a hinged canopy instead (should you be unfortunate enough to flip either on dry land or in the water, you may not be able to get the canopy open).

Andreas IOM

Jacko wrote:

Don’t forget biplanes

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Does anybody prefer the opposite of what they trained on?

Yes (C152 vs M20K). But, to be honest, I very much doubt that high vs. low wing has anything to do with it. ;)

Last Edited by tmo at 06 Mar 10:28
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

kwlf wrote:

“L’herbe est toujours plus verte ailleurs” as we used to say…

This been said, I didn’t really choose:

LFMD, France

kwlf wrote:

I would gladly go back fly a low-wing “Bravo” (FA AS202) for local fun: +6/-3 G aerobatics, 260HP, 125kts cruise, 2pob with 50kg bags each
Though at same price/engine specs, I dream of another low-wing “Bravo” (Mooney M20M/TLS) with 220kts cruise

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Mar 11:06
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Definitely high-wing, I get so many more Instagram likes when the pitot is part of the frame !

Cessna Silver Eagle C10T owner / pilot
LFPN, France

Cessna doors open automatically in case of hard landing

Sweden
Sign in to add your message