Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Has it ever occurred to anyone on this thread that what you normally see as news, is really yellow journalists and sensationalists doing what they have done their entire existence. Which is to magnify a problem beyond all reason, that in fact they are doing exactly that right now? That is what they have done in the past, are doing presently, and will do in the future. Which is to say make a mountain out of a molehill. “You must stay tuned, dont move, dont touch that dial, listen to every syllable uttered from us to you.” That is their business model. They are not there to give you credible information they are there to make money.

The number of deaths is constantly being revised down. Lets look back a year from now and see if the total of all deaths has risen and by how much. Then break it down into categories which they are doing and have done for years. I’ll wager that the number of deaths in certain groups goes down (Cardiac Pulmonary Alzheimer’s etc.) and if you take those numbers out of the Wuhan flu column you will have deaths < .1% Especially now that they have a relatively effectual drug when taken early prior to needing ventilation.

Im still waiting on the proof that someone put out there, “how dangerous HCQS is”. Just curious as to those sources.

KHTO, LHTL

The number of deaths is constantly being revised down.

I don’t think so

Lots of other stuff but as usual mostly behind a paywall and I don’t have time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Extrapolating from the one area that we know well (aviation), I think most will agree that the level of simplification or just plain wrong reporting – evidently due to a lack of understanding on the part of journalists – in the general press is usually shocking. There are the occasional exceptions. E.g. for the newspaper that I am subscribed to, there are real subject matter experts writing the articles, also for aviation, and it shows. They are not usually the quickest to report on something, but when they do you get a balanced, neutral overview of facts.

If you have such a newspaper in your country, you would do well to support them by subscribing to them.

Most people with half a brain have learned to be skeptical and to cross-check information in the press as well. But in the end, the facts for a pandemic of global scale aren’t made by the press, but by scientists.

C210_Flyer wrote:

Has it ever occurred to anyone on this thread that what you normally see as news, is really yellow journalists and sensationalists doing what they have done their entire existence. Which is to magnify a problem beyond all reason, that in fact they are doing exactly that right now?

Certainly. That’s why I take my information from official sources. Occasionally of course you have to resort to reading interviews rather than getting it straight from the source. But I certainly don’t care much about analyses made by the media.

They are? Sources, please.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

I reckon they must be concentrating covid patients in certain hospitals

My house is close to the road which constitutes the shortest practical (i.e. without using tiny country lanes) route between Banbury and Oxford.

Each day we see a number of ambulances pass by under blue lights with no sirens (normally means patient on board), always in the Oxford direction. Oxford has the bigger hospital of the two towns, and I don’t doubt they are transferring those serious cases which present at Banbury to Oxford.

EGLM & EGTN

Airborne_Again wrote:

They are? Sources, please.

He means the predicted total number of deaths, and in that I believe he is correct e.g. link Somebody on this very site earnestly quoted Imperial College predictions that now only three weeks later look crazy – over a million US fatalities with government directed social distancing, over 2 million without. The prediction is now 60,000, or about 5 times that of H1N1 in the 2009/2010 timeframe.

I think all of this, massive amounts of taxpayers money being spent, empty hospital beds in most places with inadequate resources at a few focal points, power grabs, the naive and fearful ‘drinking of Kool Aid’ in relation to efficacy of central control etc etc is how these things always go. In the end what remains is a pile of debt accumulated, having achieved maybe a little, here and there, with the bulk of the useful mitigation and recovery done via tactical moves by people at the grass roots, without coordination.

The next step is “if we hadn’t done all that, no matter how badly we did it, it would have been much, much worse” and “this demonstrates the need for more funding”

The step after that is nobody remembers much about any of it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Apr 17:49

C210_Flyer wrote:

The number of deaths is constantly being revised down

Weasel words

EGLM & EGTN

Rwy20 wrote:

E.g. for the newspaper that I am subscribed to,

Which would be? Pray, tell!

Can anyone post the trends of hospital admissions and deaths for these countries (Norway, Austria, etc) which are relaxing the regs?

In the UK the numbers are more or less level, but unless there is something very recent, they have not started to come down yet.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

https://orf.at/corona/stories/3157533/

Actual data for austria.
We have more people recovering per day than get tested positive per day (last 24 hours were roughly 160 new infected).
14.300 total positive tested since the beginning of march.

Last Edited by ASW22 at 15 Apr 18:32
Austria
Sign in to add your message