Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

dublinpilot wrote:

I’m might be wrong, but I thought when it came to viruses, a 2% difference was apples and oranges?

I think that’s DNA, isn’t it?

Thus logically same must apply to anything containing it!

EGLM & EGTN

It’s 4 % difference between men and Chimpanzee.

But more broadly: IT#s wildly irrelevant if the Virus came out of the Chinese Lab or not. Nobody will survive because we are able (or not) to blame the Chinese. Plus we will likely never find out:
It is very clear, that SARS-Cov2 is closely related with SARS-Cov1 which is around in the wild (specifically in bats) in China for quite some years. There is no evidence that it has been artificially modified and therefore it is very likely to be a natural mutation. If this natural mutation jumped directly from its bat host to patient 0 or was collected as a specimen delivered from some kind of lab and escaped from there (or something in between) doesn’t really mater – does it?

Germany

On some levels I do think it matters, but I generally agree, not.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Latest analysis still shows that on average in Spain 5% people have antibodies. Fluctuates by zone between 2-10%. Currently, some 50 flare-ups which are closely monitored and in two cases have lead to sizeable lock-downs; a spot on the NW coast, and an area in Catalonia, inland, around Lleida.

Interesting observation: Of the participating people that originally had antibodies, 15% now does not have them any longer. No conclusions whether this means that they would also have lost their immunity.

While there is progress in getting to understand the virus and how to flight it, it feels like that there are still new questions thrown at us at the same time, no?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I dont think that is so. The human genome is huge and inevitably because of the common anncestry a very large percentage is the same as other higher primates, but vast amounts of the genome arent expressed, and the differences even at small percentages are huge. The RNA of Covid is tiny in comparison and largely expressed so at that level of similarity is all but identical, at least that is my understanding.

We may never know because the Chinese cannot be trusted at any level. However, knowing is very important. We need to know if the virus arose naturally and where, we need to know its natural vector, we need to know if China’s biosecurity was adequate and we need to know if the Chinese were modifying the virus to see how these changes might occur naturally. We need to know all these things because it would make us better prepared next time, will give us a better understading of how to avoid such a disaster again, and is vital to preserve the fundamental scinetific principle that data belongs to any one state or player where it is of this nature.

So, yes I think it matters very much. It matters even more that the Chinese are encouraged to share with the rest of the World, and, if, ultimatley they are not prepared to do so, then they must be called out by the International community.

+1 Fuji..
But, like you, i have little hope that the Chinese will open the files. It probably takes a dissident to give us more insight.

Last Edited by aart at 06 Jul 19:39
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Fuji_Abound wrote:

We may never know because the Chinese cannot be trusted at any level. However, knowing is very important. We need to know if the virus arose naturally and where, we need to know its natural vector, we need to know if China’s biosecurity was adequate and we need to know if the Chinese were modifying the virus to see how these changes might occur naturally. We need to know all these things because it would make us better prepared next time, will give us a better understading of how to avoid such a disaster again, and is vital to preserve the fundamental scinetific principle that data belongs to any one state or player where it is of this nature.

Sorry, but that is pure conspiracy theory. There is not the slightest indication that SARS-Cov2 is an “artificially modified” virus. It is very similar to SARS-COV1, does not show any of the usual artifacts of artificial modifications and is from it’s mechanism not developed in a way that would especially qualify as some kind of “weapon”.

And at least from a European view it is not obvious that the Americans should be more open about their military biologic research than the Chinese are – or to be “more trusted” in that respect.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Sorry, but that is pure conspiracy theory. There is not the slightest indication that SARS-Cov2 is an “artificially modified” virus. It is very similar to SARS-COV1, does not show any of the usual artifacts of artificial modifications and is from it’s mechanism not developed in a way that would especially qualify as some kind of “weapon”.

Where does anything written above have anything whatsoever to do with what is written below????

Fuji_Abound wrote:

We need to know if the virus arose naturally and where, we need to know its natural vector, we need to know if China’s biosecurity was adequate and we need to know if the Chinese were modifying the virus to see how these changes might occur naturally. We need to know all these things because it would make us better prepared next time, will give us a better understading of how to avoid such a disaster again, and is vital to preserve the fundamental scinetific principle that data belongs to any one state or player where it is of this nature.

Reported today: people lose 1-2kg of muscle per day in ICU.

Something to think about… It will take a long time to get back to normal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

skydriller wrote:

Where does anything written above have anything whatsoever to do with what is written below????

Fuji_Abound wrote:

We need to know if the virus arose naturally … we need to know if the Chinese were modifying the virus
Germany
Sign in to add your message