Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

That’s an excellent point. In any given country, only a very small % get food delivered, because the home delivery model works only for premium quality food.

However one would hope that any half competent researcher would have corrected for this… “Having a guide dog makes you blind”, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

only a very small % get food delivered, because the home delivery model works only for premium quality food.

Huh? Tesco do deliveries here and they sell plenty of junk food. You can even get groceries delivered from Lidl and Aldi.

At least here, it’s just as easy to get crap groceries delivered as it is premium.

Maybe the market is more niche is the uk?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Anne Robinson’s daughter to Anne: “Mummy, what is Tesco?”
Anne: “It is like Ocado but you have to go there”

Maybe @aart is closer to the news scene there.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

However one would hope that any half competent researcher would have corrected for this… “Having a guide dog makes you blind”, etc.

100% of all airline pilots involved in accidents wear a uniform.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ve read that in response to the government mandated shutdown of dine-in restaurants (they can only offer take-out and delivery) some of the upscale places have a “rent a chef” option, where the chef will come to you and cook for you. Definitely not Tesco level prices.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

because the home delivery model works only for premium quality food.

Tesco’s home delivery is heavily oversubscribed here, and it’s hardly premium.

The local producers also home deliver here which really took off during the April lockdown. I would agree that is premium (as in, you know where it came from, and you can pronounce all the ingredients) but it is NOT reflected in the price, which is very reasonable. Another thing that started during lockdown (as food shopping was never restricted) was the local fishermen selling direct to households (I believe this required a change in legislation).

Andreas IOM

Tesco’s home delivery is heavily oversubscribed here

Exactly; we could not get it, ever. Well, just once. We found one slot, when Ocado were in a mess and cancelled everybody’s orders (I think they were ordered to deliver to the 1.5M who were required to stay at home, but this was never openly stated). Ocado is now running, as are Waitrose (who have got a lot more trucks for their own fleet, after their bust-up with Ocado ).

We get fresh veg from Riverford – a great company which has never let us down.

In the long term, most people will continue to go to supermarkets, and 99.9% of them will touch the trolley handle and stick their fingers up their nose

Administrator

I am starting to wonder if the dozens of “studies” which are being dumbed down in the press are actually doing the issue a favour. Somehow I think not.

90% (optimistically speaking) of people have no clue how the scientific community works, that it is totally normal that often contradicting studies on subjects take months and years of debate until one or two of them become acknowledged fact. So quite a lot of what is written and published on covid are simply puzzlestones in a maze of search for knowledge, some may be relevant, others not.

That however is not how the average IQ60 Joe Normal outside thinks. For him, scientists are the people, if they don’t know, nobody does. So the fact that the studies end up in tabloid papers, 4 a day with contradicting results, gives a totally wrong impression: Those lab coats don’t know what the hell they are doing. And that is fatal for compliance when it is those “lab coats” who have to come up with measures to contain this thing. Add to it the VT spreaders who will add pseudo science or outright fake science to bring across their loony b.s. theories and who often are better at presenting it than the scientists, who don’t have time for popularism.

Don’t know what to do about it, but seeing what happens here, the way it’s done now doesn’t work. If now you get up to 40% of folks who will flatly refuse to get vaccined because they think the vaccine contains a chip implant by deep state, then heaven help us.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This image shows card use at restaurants this year compared to last year. X axis is week number, and y axis is change in percentage compared with last year. Restaurants have never been locked down here.

The first wave is clearly visible, a reduction of 70-80 % Then, during the summer it almost came back to normal, then gradually down again, and more abruptly down in the last few weeks.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Here, some scientist has finally gone public with the mind bogglingly obvious fact that letting everybody party at xmas (which the politicians are all promising) is going to kill a few k people and set the whole process back a number of weeks.

Apparently this happens every xmas, but with the less dangerous versions of the usual diseases.

A friend of mine has just ferried a Phenom 100 UK to New Zealand. They don’t mess about down there

Administrator
Sign in to add your message