Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Malibuflyer wrote:

I feel quite strongly that if the superstition includes killing a child a day to fulfill the unbearable commandments of the Invisible pink unicorn, it is the role and responsibility of the government to “educate” them not to do that.

I disagree. It is the role of government to facilitate the funding and operation of proper policing and judicial systems to ensure that such people are arrested and prosecuted.

However, we will not properly solve this problem (and many others) until religion is stripped of all legal status. This day cannot come too soon, but I fear it is a long way off.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

I suppose the Government should message, but perhaps not waste inordinate effort.

Agree. These communities largely keep to themselves anyway, so it should not adversely affect the rest of us who do not share their silly superstitions.

EGLM & EGTN

California has now lifted most of the CV restrictions (yesterday), but with restaurants still limited to outdoor service. I think this might have been in response to comparison with other US states which have seen virtually the same trajectory of CV cases with no similar restrictions in place – as I noted in an earlier post. I’m sure I’m not the only one to notice.

The fact that momentum is building the recall the governor out of disgust with his endless non-legislated and arbitrary “orders”, revised occasionally to contradict their prior ‘logic’ might also have something to do with it. This latest change is actually another example of that but at least it’s reversing what he previously did. It seems he’s found out what one does when acting that way – you end up exactly as you would otherwise, but with some additional expensive chaos introduced.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Jan 16:30

A friend of mine sent me link to a very interesting paper.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

… and some wonder why some don’t think this is real

A friend of mine sent me link to a very interesting paper.

This must be why the govt here reacted so fast to shut down flights from some places.

It’s gonna spread eventually (because people will travel via other countries, etc) but with time one can get a modified vaccine out while it is still at a low level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Has anybody actually found a religion which is blocking Covid vaccination on religious grounds?
Not the MCB, anyway :-)

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

Of course the religions aren’t blocking it, insofar as a religion could actually do such a thing. It’s just that their adherents tend to be susceptible to myths…. which is to be expected since they believe in supernatural beings.

Survey data in the UK indicates that certain minorities, with a heavy bias towards non-Christian religious groups, are expressing much lower levels of intent to be vaccinated.

EGLM & EGTN

No major religion per se has a doctrine against vaccinations. There are however, in almost all major religions some individual groups that do have such.

In the grand scheme of things the reasons for that in this groups can be classified into 3 types:

• Injections are generally banned as they harm the body
  • Artificial healing is human interference in god’s will
  • vaccination is “killing” the the pathogen which should not be harmed as any other part of creation
Germany

One was to do with stories going around fb and tw that the vaccines contain pork, which is regarded as “unclean” in some religions.

Then there is a widespread general fear of this being a plot by white men to control the non-white communities. A bit like the very old one about the Rockefeller plan to take over the world… This is the generic old version I think, and then you have Operation Lockstep which is the latest vaccine related version.

Google turns up lots of hits on all this

The basic problem is that the more backward (“inward looking” is perhaps a nicer way to put it) a community is, the more susceptible they are to these suggestions. And nowadays a huge chunk of the whole population gets its entire world view from fb and tw.

So the UK govt has now started putting campaigns on fb (I am not on twatter so can’t say) debunking the pork thing; the more general world-takeover one is for another day

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, apparently the Catholic faith does not seem to see any issues in taking the vaccine. Bit of a scandal here in Spain where the Bishop of the Balearics was caught jumping the queue. Not available for detailed comment, just said that he wanted to give the good example. Yeah, right, without telling anyone

It’s even a bigger thing here. Many mayors, hospital directors getting their jab while they are not yet due. Oh, and some high brass in the military too, causing the very Chief to resign.

Is this also happening in other countries?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I’m not at all religious except that I have no idea where earth and humanity sits in relation to the cosmos… just like everybody else. Let me know if you have science that explains it.

That said, I have no problem with other people’s religious beliefs and have zero interest in imposing my views on them. In fact, organized religion is a good thing in that it provides one more competitive force for heart and minds, in opposition against overreaching government. People should be encouraged to understand that unchallenged and concentrated power will always, invariably, go off in the wrong direction, whether it be in government or religion. Having the two compete a bit is therefore no bad thing. The problem comes when the two team up…

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Jan 17:47
Sign in to add your message