Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Latest data on side effects of the vax.
See
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

This amounts to between 3 and 4 cases out of every 1000 jabs given.
I’m not sure at what level of side effects does it become at a level where it is reported back to the system.

United Kingdom

Sounds fairly normal for a vaccine.

I was not able to drive for some days after the typhoid vaccine, due to left arm pain. That was “required” for St Lucia or Jamaica, IIRC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Norway… sure. Lots of land, very few people, high income, low poverty, compliant population, few or no non-integrated ethnic groups who don’t understand / don’t care. The virus has very few targets in Norway.

The rest of the world is very different.

That discussion is a never ending story IMO. The total contamination pressure (or whatever it is called in English) in my area now is 20 (on that corresponding scale). Just across the border to Sweden it is 400. That area of Sweden, it’s hardly any people there, except a few cities. Much more denser population in my side of the border. People or the same, usually we work, live, shop, have cottages, ski, hikes, on either side of that border. Storlien-Åre area is basically “Norway” as far as I’m concerned, in normal circumstances. One really has to wonder then, why this difference in the pandemic situation?

IMO, it’s not one single cause. There are lots of causes, and not a single one of those is a “good” cause. But, some things are easily picked up in media and comment sections (in media and other places). One striking thing is the general knowledge about this pandemic among the general public. This is much higher in Norway than in Sweden. That could be the only difference for all I know, at least it’s the only difference I can really see. All the rest of ideas of possible causes to this difference, are only that: ideas.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Knowledge is certainly key. One doesn’t need a PhD to work out how to catch it, and how to not catch it. Mostly, it is really obvious.

Except for those who don’t have a choice e.g. have to use public transport, have kids at school, have to work in offices, shops, factories, etc, in close groups. I find it hard to believe that Norway doesn’t have these groups… perhaps except the 1st one which might be much lower.

Here in the UK, a large part of the population doesn’t “get it” at all, which is why we have the stupid rules like not being allowed to sit on a park bench, to rest or to e.g. eat your takeaway food (the councils, where they had time, have taped up the benches so you can’t sit on them). The risk of sitting down is precisely zero, but if you allow it, you will get large groups of (mostly young) people having big parties. We saw this at a local spot; 10-20 in a group. They don’t get sick but they give it to their parents, the people they work with, etc. Then you get some PC dicks doing their own “special measures” e.g. at a big local shopping centre they closed the mens’ toilets, so that men “suffer the same long queue as the women”… the result is a loooong queue in which distancing simply isn’t happening because x% never learnt anything at school and have no idea what 2m looks like And I know from those I talk to that most of Europe is exactly the same. Most people don’t “get it”.

On top of that you get people who don’t believe the virus exists, etc…

To pick up a point by @dublinpilot earlier on, this is the UK version of the supermarket thing. It makes sense, although one would need to study what else those people do also. If they have kids at school, for example, then the supermarket is probably irrelevant (unless the kids have been tested). One would have to look at people who basically don’t go out anywhere except the supermarket, and that includes not having deliveries, not opening letters (most people have zero concept of surface infection), etc.

Administrator

LeSving wrote:

One striking thing is the general knowledge about this pandemic among the general public. This is much higher in Norway than in Sweden.

How do you know that? (Serious question. If it is “striking” is should be easy to answer.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 14 Feb 10:41
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

How easy that is to answer is very dependent on the receiving end Tegnell has been in the (Norwegian) media from time to time, for no particular reason than to have a WTF and a laugh situation. This happened especially at the start of the pandemic, but not anymore. It’s been ages since I have seen Tegnell on TV when I think about it.

Just this morning a Swede wrote in the comment section of a Norwegian newspaper (online). How important it is to work together, rather than closing the boarder etc. The Swedish/Norwegian boarder is the longest boarder in Europe, as a fun fact. The fact is, the boarder isn’t closed. People living and/or working and have to travel across can do that, no questions asked. Goods travel across the boarder as usual and so on. However, it It is closed for all unnecessary travel, like recreation, shopping etc. His message was simple that only through collaboration can this pandemic be stopped, not the isolation that Norway is doing. That is very fine and PC and whatnot, but the whole point since the pandemic started is to get the pandemic under control, so we can live something resembling normal lives, WITHOUT people dying as flies. That part seems to be fully understood in Norway, but ignored or not understood in Sweden. If Sweden could get the contamination pressure under control, the boarders would be fully open. No one would want that more than us. Tell a Swede that, and he would simply be a bit confused, irritated and surprised because he don’t know what “contamination pressure” is, and why that should matter – to him and the boarder. That has been the situation, but it’s getting better I guess.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I have often wondered how much of the ‘un-integrated immigrant’ effect is really explained by overcrowded housing, public-facing work roles, and unsafe working environments.

I came across this
link from Malmö university
and I’m curious to know what our Scandinavian friends think.

I’m guessing that maybe Sweden has more overcrowded housing than Norway, Stockholm more than Malmö, etc. Could that explain some of the differences in infection rates?

Last Edited by DavidS at 14 Feb 12:57
White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

I have often wondered how much of the ‘un-integrated immigrant’ effect is really explained by overcrowded housing, public-facing work roles, and unsafe working environments.

I am sure that’s true – all these correlate – but also there are some communities which don’t integrate [much] and the people within them are thus highly suspectible to bull info being fed to them by their “community leaders”. Hence we see the govt campaigns telling people that the vaccines don’t contain any pork (not acceptable to some religious communities) for example. It takes only seconds on google to check this for yourself…

It is probably just another version of why care home workers have a high vaccine refusal rate. The susceptibility to bull increases as you go down the socio-economic scale, to put it somewhat crudely.

I am still amazed by what I see on fb (on the occassions when I come across something from someone else; I use fb for fairly specific stuff) where very close to 100% of many posts are solidly anti-vaxx. Hard to know what that translates to in the general population, but it has really destroyed my faith in the “bullsh1t separation capability” of the population. I am not surprised the Greeks are going to be asking for vaccine passports, probably in addition to negative tests.

Administrator

@LeSving wrote:

How easy that is to answer is very dependent on the receiving end

After reading your post I’m convinced you don’t have a clue as to what Swedes in general know or don’t know about the pandemic.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’m sure you are right about susceptibility to bullshit, but some of them may have a different experience of ‘trusting the authorities’.

In a western country, I struggle to understand anybody who is anti-vaxx, but a little googling shows a different story outside that heavily regulated world.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message