Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Peter wrote:

I wonder how the AZ vaccine compares? Both are very similar in preventing severe disease – close to 100% – and the AZ one is fine with a 2nd dose at 3 months.

There is currently a lot of discussion in Germany about the AZ vaccine (example). Many healthcare professionals are bothered by the typically given number of 70% efficiacy (though, as you correctly write, severe infections are prevented by 100%) and there have been lots of reports of stronger-than-anticipated side effects, which several hospitals experiencing record numbers of “sick” people after recieving the vaccine. In all honesty, all these people are back to work after 2-3 days though and in my hospital we had similar stories after the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine, especially the second dose.

Personally, I’m grateful for having recieved the BioNTech vaccine, which is 89% effective at preventing symptomatic infection after a single dose and 94% effective after two doses. But if we leave emotions out of it, then the AZ vaccine isn’t bad either. We need large numbers of vaccinated people and cannot afford to shun one vaccine or another.

There is certainly also a kind of “vaccine nationalism” at play here. BioNTech is a German company, and it is very obvious that Germans seem to prefer it. In the UK, the AZ vaccine might likewise be more popular (“Oxford vaccine”) for the same reasons.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

there have been lots of reports of stronger-than-anticipated side effects, which several hospitals experiencing record numbers of “sick” people after recieving the vaccine.

You can find the side effect rates here via the yellow card reporting system.

As of 7 February 2021, for the UK
24,207 Yellow Cards have been reported for the Pfizer/BioNTech
20,428 have been reported for the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine
113 have been reported where the brand of the vaccine was not specified.

In the week since the previous summary for 31 January 2021 we have received a further 3,882 Yellow Cards for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, 8,680 for the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine and 41 where the brand was not specified. A higher number of doses of the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine were administered in the last week than the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine .
For both vaccines the overall reporting rate is around 3 to 4 Yellow Cards per 1,000 doses administered.

So the two are of the same order of side effects reported, although IIRC early on the Pfizer one was generating 2x the reporting rate of the AZ one. Currently the UK appears to be vaccinating much more with AZ than with Pfizer, although I can’t find the data for that.

Many healthcare professionals are bothered by the typically given number of 70% efficiacy (though, as you correctly write, severe infections are prevented by 100%) and

This appears to be due to the different testing regimes during their respective test periods, as discussed earlier. AZ was testing everybody injected, while Pfizer was testing only symptomatic cases (or vice versa; I can’t remember) and this pretty well accounts for the difference. In the field, the two perform similarly for preventing symptoms.

There is certainly also a kind of “vaccine nationalism” at play here

There may be in the EU, since they can’t get the AZ one, but over here I don’t see any indication that anybody cares, among the medical profession or outside.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There may be in the EU, since they can’t get the AZ one, but over here I don’t see any indication that anybody cares, among the medical profession or outside.

The AZ vaccine is approved for use in the EU since January 29 and over a million doses have already been delivered to Germany. So in Germany there is indeed a “competition” between the BioNTech and the AZ vaccine in the minds of both the public and healthcare professionals.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 21 Feb 19:01
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

That’s certainly a different mindset. Over here the universal focus is on getting as many jabs into as many arms as we possibly can, and as quickly as we possibly can. Have not seen anything to suggest anyone here minds which one they get. People generally understand that it’s not about them personally, I think.

Frankly I’m glad the two sets of researchers went down completely different routes. Either one of them might have failed completely, but as it happens we got one good and one excellent. That’s a great outcome, whichever way you look at it.

Last Edited by Graham at 21 Feb 19:48
EGLM & EGTN

Outside of Europe and the USA the Sputnik and Chinese vaccine are being delivered at pace. Apparently the cocktail of AZ and Sputnik is very effective, but not sure if this is scientifically agreed.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Switzerland is considering to resell its 5.3 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine again due to concerns about its effectiveness.

Rwy20 wrote:

Switzerland is considering to resell its 5.3 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine again due to concerns about its effectiveness.

Yes and that in the face of the fact that vaccinations have basically come to a total standstill as they have no doses left in most places. I have been told (risk group but below 60) not to count on any vaccination before May.

Now the question is: Does Switzerland have the AZ vaccine in stock and want to resell it or do they have options to buy they want to resell.

Also, the press has reported that there was a concrete offer by Russia of delivering Sputnik V data for evaluation and, once approved, huge numbers of doses pretty quickly, which has been totally ignored by the decision makers here. The quote was “they did not pick the phone”.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Graham wrote:

Over here the universal focus is on getting as many jabs into as many arms as we possibly can, and as quickly as we possibly can.

Which is exactly how it should be and the UK has to be applauded for taking the only sensible approach to the vaccination program.

This has to be pure political posturing, because it is now blindingly obvious that AZ works very well.

It is a real pity because Europe (mainland) is going to be screwed this summer. Well, unless warmer temperatures make as much difference as many think (and they may be right).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Now the question is: Does Switzerland have the AZ vaccine in stock and want to resell it or do they have options to buy they want to resell.

Turns out they do not have it in stock and it is not yet certified here anyway. Apparently they are looking at options for different scenarios.

Peter wrote:

It is a real pity because Europe (mainland) is going to be screwed this summer.

Unless there are a lot of vaccine doses arriving in spring, we will be. It would be quite absurd if at the end, those countries who forego the European certifications and buy what they can will be much better off than those who wait for Godot.

I have a suspicion that the pot will boil over here fairly soon, possibly next Wednsday once the new / old / relaxations to restrictions are announced.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message