Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

I am slightly less worried to get infected by obesity than I am worried about dying of the effects of second-hand smoke.

I also suspect that even the most idiotic government will not try to control these two by shutting down all restaurants and pubs and ration food to combat obesity, or stop everyone from travelling because there may be smokers on board…

Last Edited by Cobalt at 26 Jun 21:37
Biggin Hill

Portugal has been put on the risk list by Germany. Some tour operators are evacuating their tourists from there.

Sorry, but the way this now accelerates everywhere does not make me confident at all…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Cobalt wrote:

I also suspect that even the most idiotic government will not try to control these two by shutting down all restaurants and pub

Sweden has banned all smoking on and in the vicinity of restaurants and pubs. I don’t know it it’s idiotic, but certainly restaurant staff appreciates it. (As does my family, where no one smokes.) Also, contrary to expectations from the business, it has not lead to a decline in the number of customers.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Jun 08:00
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, the covid equivalent of a smoking ban would be to require vaccination and/or tests to protect others. Not perfect, but good enough if 90pc or more effective.

The idiotic equivalent I meant is to close all restaurants to protect staff and others from second hand smoke.

Ever since the availability of mass testing, and now with vaccination, the ongoing restrictions have become more and more unjustified

Last Edited by Cobalt at 27 Jun 11:59
Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

Yes, the covid equivalent of a smoking ban would be to require vaccination and/or tests to protect others. Not perfect, but good enough if 90pc or more effective.

Well, in many places smoking has been banned from restaurants (indoors). I have no problem with this, much more pleasant than before.

Cobalt wrote:

Ever since the availability of mass testing, and now with vaccination, the ongoing restrictions have become more and more unjustified

I guess the main problem is making the call, particularly seeing how new mutations turn up and start new surges despite high vaccination rates. I think we need to live with the fact that the Covid restrictions will be on and off for a long time, if not for ever, lest we can find a legal way to force all people to vaccinate themselves. it drives me nuts how many people I used to respect in my close vicinity are anti-vaxxers at least where Covid is concerned and won’t get the shot. Personally I think they should not be allowed back into the workforce or dismissed, but out of PC one can’t do that.

Mass testing is another issue where many people baulk and run away: First of all they don’t want to be locked up for 10 days or longer and 2ndly it is massively uncomfortable to have your nose stabbed in this manner… By now I believe testing has a very limited effect as long as it is not enforced, e.g. by blocking access to desirable pursuits for people without tests or they find a less painful way of doing it.

I’ve heard from people in an eastern European country where huge parts of the populations have had Covid with quite a few died or in hospital but nobody tested, as they don’t get paid on sick leave (or only a pittance)…. Figures in those countries need to be taken with a bucket of salt.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 27 Jun 12:57

The UK is doing well with vaccinations in “difficult” areas by running walk-in clinics; no appointment needed.

Evidently a substantial % of the population is simply unable to turn up to an “appointment”. This does not surprise me, looking at how many people are only just hanging in there, organisationally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

By now I believe testing has a very limited effect as long as it is not enforced, e.g. by blocking access to desirable pursuits for people without tests or they find a less painful way of doing it.

It seems to work in Austria, where I just recently spent some time. You cannot get into a restaurant without a test or proof of vaccination or a past infection. Testing there is free and widely available 7 days a week.

You cannot get into a restaurant without a test or proof of vaccination or a past infection

That takes serious political balls – or a very different type of society.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

It seems to work in Austria, where I just recently spent some time. You cannot get into a restaurant without a test or proof of vaccination or a past infection. Testing there is free and widely available 7 days a week.

Austria and Chancellor Kurz deserve high respect for their way of handling this crisis. Yes it works well there. I hope that we will get similar results here, but so far, vaccination readiness is quite disappointing.

Peter wrote:

That takes serious political balls – or a very different type of society.

Austria? What should be different about it?

Sign in to add your message