Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

johnh wrote:

One big problem (which affects me) is recognition of vaccination outside France. For the moment that is being completely ignored –

From practical experience: At least as an EU citizen being vaccinated in Germany I have exactly the same rights in France I would have if I had been vaccinated in France. There doesn’t seem to be any “recognition of foreign vaccinations” problem at all.
There might be a problem, however, if you are vaccinated with a vaccine that is not approved (yet) in Europe (e.g. Sputnik, Covishield, etc.)

Germany

@johnh the thread on travelling and vacc etc requirements is here

I keep moving stuff there, from this one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Clipperstorch wrote:

No wonder that masks didn’t stop Norovirus. It’s not an airborne disease and washing hands and cleaning surfaces is exactly the way to make it stop.

That’s not what I said. We have no idea if masks stop Norovirus or not since we haven’t had widespread use of masks without also having had widespread use of the other measures.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 14 Jul 08:21
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Probably, people need to be given an incentive to get vaccinated. The younger people are refusing:

I don’t think they are: it’s just supply has been lower recently. All the younger people I know got vaxxed. The only anti-vaxxers I know are my step mum’s brothers — who are in their 60s. (Some of the excuses are silly like “I don’t like needles”, and one said “they would rather get COVID than have the vaccine”, which is silly given their age and comorbidities. Even a mild case of COVID is pretty awful, much more awful than 2 seconds of being jabbed with a needle). My step mum has refused to see them (she is vulnerable, being a type I diabetic) until they get vaxxed, but they still refuse (and the Isle of Man won’t let them in without self-isolating unless they are fully vaxxed). Unfortunately their entire community is probably anti-vax, so when delta gets in, it’ll rip though the community and there will be deaths, and they all live in Derby which is going to end up as a delta hotspot undoubtedly…especially after the superspreading event known as the football).

Vaccine takeup in the UK is very high amongst all age groups, other than cases like the above.

You can see the Isle of Man’s vaccination stats here: https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/covid-19-vaccination-statistics/ – the TL;DR of this is that 51,385 (of the adult population of 72,484) have now had their second dose.

Last Edited by alioth at 14 Jul 08:38
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

I don’t think they are: it’s just supply has been lower recently.

I believe the supply is as high as it was before, or nearly so. That’s why they kept extending to younger and younger age groups ahead of schedule, trying new things to reach out to people, offering walk-in jabs, etc. Certainly when I went for my second jab on Sunday the chat in the place was all about what they could do to use up what they had, and there no queue at all unlike for my first jab.

I’ve mentioned this before but I believe the lower take up (or at least, taking longer to get them done) among the young is not anti-vaxx mentality per se, but rather down to various factors such as:

- they aren’t fussed about getting covid
- they can’t be bothered to take time out of their day
- they work in jobs where you can’t just take an hour off on a Thursday morning to go and get jabbed
- they are busy and getting a jab just isn’t high on their priority list – they will do it, but when they get a chance rather than as soon as they are asked to

They are just not ‘hanging on the edge of their seat’ waiting to be called for their jab like the older folks were.

EGLM & EGTN

I think Graham is right. If you re under 25 and healthy, arguably catching C19 is less risky than a jab. The reason they will get jabbed is to make life easier as the vaccination passport thing becomes a reality, but its not their #1 priority in life right now.

skydriller wrote:

If you re under 25 and healthy, arguably catching C19 is less risky than a jab.

Definitely not! The risk of Covid is obviously lower in this age group (at least if the disregard the fact of “long Covid” on which we still have little data).
However, the risk of the vaccination is also very low for that age group – therefore the jab is still significantly less risky!

Germany

skydriller wrote:

If you re under 25 and healthy, arguably catching C19 is less risky than a jab

I don’t think that is true at all. Incidences of “long COVID” are much greater than vaccine side effects, for one. Even if you’re under 25, COVID is orders of magnitude more likely to put you in hospital than the jab.

Andreas IOM

So even a tissue in front of the mouth would eliminate the vaping cloud – but is not effective against viruses

Well, except the virus is carried on droplets, not as free-floating virus particles. The latter COULD exist but they have at most a small part to play in transmissibility. So if you stop all the droplets (on either end) you’ve stopped the great majority of the virus particles too. Some virus may get through but given that infection depends heavily on initial viral load, it’s a whole lot better than nothing.

LFMD, France

Dont tell me, Im double jabbed – tell those that are not queuing up to be vaccinated !!

Sign in to add your message