Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

JasonC wrote:

But for many people they feel this makes eating less enjoyable.

This is probably only because the vegetables they remember are the ones their mothers cooked: for 45 minutes by boiling.

Eating is just as enjoyable if the ingredients are prepared and cooked properly.

Andreas IOM

I have a question on how track+trace was implemented in various countries in Europe.

Here in the UK, the plan is for the trackers to phone up people (who report symptoms, or who they think were in contact with somebody infected) and ask them for their email address, and for contact details of others who they came into proximity of.

The immediate problem I see is that such a call could easily be a scammer. It will be an easy scam to do because you get a call asking for your email address, and then you get an email referencing the phone call, so the whole thing sounds genuine. Nobody smart should fall for it, but many will.

One way to do it properly would be for the caller to give out a number which the recipient can type into an NHS website. It will be the usual sort of crypto one-time thing used for banking.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One way to do it properly would be for the caller to give out a number which the recipient can type into an NHS website

So let’s see, given UK govt’s renowned success with iT projects, that would probably be ready, though full of bugs, some time around 2050.

LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

The immediate problem I see is that such a call could easily be a scammer. It will be an easy scam to do because you get a call asking for your email address, and then you get an email referencing the phone call, so the whole thing sounds genuine. Nobody smart should fall for it, but many will.

Exactly.

I know many people who do not answer unknown numbers, I know others that will not answer if they know the number, and still others that would not accept they had been within 2 metres for more than 15 minutes if they thought they would be sent home.

It seems to have become a feature of this administration that anything they announce, someone who it genuinely effects, will say “I only heard about that today, at the same time as everyone else”.

What is it about an administration that believes it knows all the answers to such an extent that it never appears to consult outside its inner group, who clearly dont know all the answers. It is clear the latest announcements have prompted so many obvious questions, to which the answers should be immediate, that my observation is justified.

Is it just me but I am totally fed up with our administration in the UK – not because of their politics, but because they are utterly incompetent. There is not a single one of them that inspires confidence. It is a small point, but typified that we have got to the point that everyone one of them starts their answer to a question by saying "what a wonderful question, or some other similiar sound bite. They dont mean it, because it is said for every question, even when patently they wished it hadnt been asked, so it is insencere at best, and also totally patronising.

I never thought I would say it but I am actually totally embarassed to say this administration represents our country. I am genuinely considering going some where else not just because of their incompetence, but because I have grave concerns they can navigate a path through the Autumn and Winter in due course.

alioth wrote:

This is probably only because the vegetables they remember are the ones their mothers cooked: for 45 minutes by boiling.

Eating is just as enjoyable if the ingredients are prepared and cooked properly.

Some people (me included) do just like meat.

EGTK Oxford

So let’s see, given UK govt’s renowned success with iT projects, that would probably be ready, though full of bugs, some time around 2050.

2030, but not before they have sent everybody their whole user base via CC instead of BCC (like the newly set up GAR form department did)

what a wonderful question

To be fair they are saying this as a backhand compliment / a patronising way of telling the reporter to get lost, to the stupid idiotic thick as a plank media people who ask the banal obvious-trap questions in the briefings. If it was me I would say “who do you keep asking these stupid questions… next question please” but then you know I would not last 5 minutes in politics

The UK has certainly paid a high price in deaths, for a much more civil libertarian policy than e.g. Italy or Spain implemented. The poor health of so many, related closely to eating crap, didn’t help. All countries in Europe, especially some, have a real “underclass”, but they aren’t quite in as a poor health as the UK’s.

I am still not quite sure whether the UK govt is as incompetent as they appear. They certainly were not prepared but then nobody else was either (except, around these parts, Germany) but politically they can’t admit this. So they stonewall, whitewash, and bullsh1t. They screwed up by abandoning tracking cases early, but they would have soon run out of test kits anyway. There is some deeply dodgy process going on in NHS procurement, comparable to outright corruption in its effects.

That’s fine, but you need to accept the higher risk of all sorts of health issues. Same with smoking, etc.

Administrator

That’s music to a poor Scottish hill farmer who is hankering after his usual tartare de bœuf and chips at Les Papilles at LFLI.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

To be fair they are saying this as a backhand compliment / a patronising way of telling the reporter to get lost, to the stupid idiotic thick as a plank media people who ask the banal obvious-trap questions in the briefings. If it was me I would say “who do you keep asking these stupid questions… next question please” but then you know I would not last 5 minutes in politics

Ho, ho, you would have a good point, but it is now every question including those from the general public, and even the odd question that should not be patronised.

You make an interesting point about questions, that I have pondered. In a democracy I cant help feeling if you invite questions, you should do your best to answer. You might say I refer you to my previous answer to which I have nothing to add, but the press will do their best to find a new angle.

The danger is we are reaching the position if questions will only be selectively answered the press may as well refuse to ask (I am thinking of the daily briefing). Not answering questions has become a game that frustrates our democracy, but I dont think any of us know the solution.

I think the main issue is that policy messages have to be aimed at the almost totally thick.

The totally totally thick are already in institutions

I feel frustrated that so little media coverage is aimed at people with some sort of a brain. But that’s been a long term trend – decades. Remember some of the old Horizon programmes?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Remember some of the old Horizon programmes?

Yes. These would never get made now, which is a shame. My dad was always very keen for me to watch them, and I usually obliged.

On the meat question, I like it very much but have noticed that these days I am eating less of it and the meat I do eat is of better quality (or at least, since there may be no satisfactory definition of better quality, more expensive cuts). I also cook and eat meat-free meals, potato, spinah and chickpea curry is a favourite, which I would never have done say 10 years ago.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message