Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Better look after yourself then, others will do the same as they see appropriate for themselves. I’m on a diet right now myself, have lost 10 lbs, aiming for another 10 lbs.

I’d also say look after your children, as they are depending on you to make decisions for them, or at least help them do so, until they too reach adulthood.

Indulging in world control fantasies won’t help you a bit.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Sep 19:03

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I by now have one close friend dead after 4 weeks of unspeakable suffering as well as about 15 people I know who had it. The “lightest case” took 4 weeks to recover and some of the others were in severe conditions. All suffer after effects. I know of several pilots whose after effects have prevented them from the qualifying for their medicals. Lung and or heart issues.

Wow. My condolences for the loss of your friend and that certainly explains your strong viewpoint on this thread.
You either know many many more people than I do, are very unlucky in the group of friends you have, or Switzerland has “it” far worse than France.
I do know someone who has had to isolate as their partner worked at a school with “a case”…it was precautionary – testing negative apparently.

Be careful, Regards, SD..

I by now have one close friend dead after 4 weeks of unspeakable suffering…

I echo skydriller’s condolences. You and your friends must have been very unlucky. In my family there has been one certain case (my nephew, who is a doctor). He recovered after a couple of weeks, having suffered anosmia for a week or so. Several other very-probable cases, including myself, none involving more than a week or so of mild unpleastantness. We have one friend who went through a difficult time, and probably would have ended very badly but for well-judged medical intervention, but now he is fully recovered.

LFMD, France

Wow, @Mooney, my condolences as well. I personally know one person who had it, an Italian friend who lives in Milan. He had a very bad case, but is now recovered. Btw, a very athletic guy, quite a bit younger than I am.

Here in L.A. life goes on more or less normally. It it weren’t for the masks, you might even be positively surprised by the amount of sidewalk cafes that have sprung up. I hope these stay! Of course the SoCal weather helps to make this viable. Interestingly, having spoken to a couple of restaurateurs in my neighborhood, some make more money now than before the pandemic. It really depends how big your ‘beer garden’ is and as many places here have parking lots some can expand quite nicely. Mask wearing seems to be about 95% of people, but this is a rather affluent and educated part of town where people generally take care of themselves. Much less so driving through some not-so-fancy parts, where, unsurprisingly, the incidence is much higher. All in all the infection and hospitalization rates keep dropping – long may it last!

Well… Here in Sweden with about 500 dead/1 million, I only know about two cases personally. One colleague who was hospitalised for a brief period (no intensive care) and the wife of a colleague who seem to have got the light-but-never-ending variant.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Personal experience certainly shapes our worldview, and different experiences with Covid-19 certainly partly explain different viewpoints about it and how to approach the pandemic. This has certainly been obvious in this EuroGA thread as well.

As a professional I try to stay with the facts. This is easier said than done, because among the multitude of scientific studies we now have on the topic, you will find always find one that supports your individual opinion if interpreted your way. Even the virologists and epidemiologists interpreted the same data differently, on many occasions.

Ultimately, I think this is a disease that requires caution and vigilance, while on the other hand it is certainly not a doomsday scenario and overall mortality will remain in the lower single digits. So neither lightheartedness nor fatalism are warranted.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

This is easier said than done, because among the multitude of scientific studies we now have on the topic, you will find always find one that supports your individual opinion if interpreted your way. Even the virologists and epidemiologists interpreted the same data differently, on many occasions.

“If you torture the data enough, it will confess to anything.”

EGLM & EGTN

Indeed Graham, indeed.

And this is problematic especially because Covid-19 has become politicised to an unpredictable level, so each faction “tortures the data”, to borrow your nice quote, in a way that produces the results they want. Thus losing sight of the bigger picture.

If Covid-19 were a critical situation in aviation, we would probably all agree that many/most people have lost their “situational awareness”

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

“If you torture the data enough, it will confess to anything.”

:-)

LFMD, France

Is it just the UK but;

I still find it hard to find any meaningful local data for the number of COVID infections?

Clearly the Government have this data – such that it is. Clearly it is data that should be in the public domain. If for no other reason, it is an important trigger for the behaviour of many people. I have no doubt those who see the data, amd especially rising numbers, would be even more careful.

As to financial packages we have just seen in the UK some more help introduced for emplyees by way of a Government funded payroll scheme which appears to depend on employees receiving some salary from their employers whilst working from home. I am inclinded to think this will do little to help the present situation because it will be subject to widespread abuse.

I would have thought a far more direct scheme based on direct sales taxes would be subject to far less abuse?

Sign in to add your message