Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Figures yesterday show 96% of people in hospital here with Covid are non vacced.

That’s not surprising. Here it was recently reported as 65%, but when you get to very small numbers you get all kinds of funny stuff happening.

The data which is not being released AFAICS is how long people are staying in hospital. Take these two scenarios

• 100/day going in, average stay 3 days → average number in hospital is 300
  • 100/day going in, average stay 2 weeks → average number in hospital is 1400

Nowadays, average stays are much shorter because it is mostly younger people.

For example see this. Admittedly this is ~3 weeks ago but

which is a ridiculous thing to base national policy on.

More recent data here (our area, population a few hundred k) and this shows

Slides 15 onwards here show that basically nothing is happening despite the large-looking infection numbers!

This epidemic is now pretty well nonexistent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

T28 wrote:

Someone sent around a message saying that the “Covid-pass” is a re-birth of what the nazis were doing in the occupied territories. To illustrate the point, a picture of a WW2 era laissez-passer was used – except that specific document had been issued by the Free French Forces…

Someone I used to respect has compared it to the Jew Star of the Nazis…. how insane is that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

gallois wrote:

Also in the 48hrs since President Macron made his speech about vaccine and test passes to enter bars and restaurants etc, which has caused some protests, more than 2 million people have signed up to be vaccinated.

So that tactics works :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

I reckon “the plan” is to let the young go clubbing (which they can do from 19th July) and infect each other, which will happen fairly rapidly. The curve will then collapse quite rapidly.

I think that is exactly the plan. And in fairness, those young who might go clubbing now have free, on-demand, access to the vaccine in the UK. It’s hard to justify trying to protect them, if they don’t want to protect themselves.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Someone I used to respect has compared it to the Jew Star of the Nazis…. how insane is that.

Well, there is literally no difference whatsoever in principle. The difference lies in the “believe system” in lack of a better word. Antisemitism was (and still is) very far from a nazi-only ideology. It was widespread throughout Europe. The effect is the same: divide the population into one group that is “good” and one group that is deprived of some privileges, then mark the ones who are less privileged so the privileged ones can be “safe”.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

now have free, on-demand, access to the vaccine in the UK. It’s hard to justify trying to protect them, if they don’t want to protect themselves.

I agree 100% but a) it has taken a long time for policymakers to see this and b) they can’t ever say it openly (“one life lost is one too many”) which makes implementation tricky, and very painful on everybody else.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I reckon “the plan” is to let the young go clubbing (which they can do from 19th July) and infect each other, which will happen fairly rapidly.

With numbers stabilizing that at least about 5 percent of those infected (even if acute episode is mild) will end up with long term organ damages, this is quite a questionable plan…

Germany

LeSving wrote:

Well, there is literally no difference whatsoever in principle. … The effect is the same: divide the population into one group that is “good” and one group that is deprived of some privileges, then mark the ones who are less privileged so the privileged ones can be “safe”.

There is a tremendous difference in principle (and in reality):

1. There is a huge difference if you label people by what they did or what they are. It is a huge difference if I “label” you by your birth (like in “You are Norwegian so you have spend so much time of your life in the dark that I can not even expect you to say something useful”) or by what you actually did (“Your last statement is wrong”).
2. There is a huge difference if a label has a factual context or not – non vaccinated people pose a risk to others that can be scientifically explained. Jews don’t.
3. There is a huge difference if you do not give specific rights to people based on 2.) or if you label them publicly (at least I have not heard of a single attempt or even thought that people should wear visible markers of their vaccination status on their clothes)
4. There is a huge difference if you could change your status by your own action or not. To get rid of that “Non-Vacc label” all you have to do is the vaccination.

You see: The principle is completely different – almost 100% opposite.
The similarity is no more than the similarity to your pilot license: Yes, you are only labeled as a pilot (by receiving your license) if you fulfill the requirements. And if you are labeled as a non pilot, significant parts of your rights are restricted (e.g. you are not allowed to fly an airplane).

Germany

With numbers stabilizing that at least about 5 percent of those infected (even if acute episode is mild) will end up with long term organ damages, this is quite a questionable plan…

Well, the only other option is compulsory vaccination, which would need to be done “at gunpoint”.

If somebody doesn’t give a toss about their health (true for a large % of people, in every country… anybody doubting that just needs to walk down the street) then what can be done?

Administrator

dublinpilot wrote:

I think that is exactly the plan.

A clueless plan perhaps, young people will and already do find ways to be together, so night clubs or not won’t make much difference, now that restrictions have gone.

I think is just a bit of chest thumping, i.e. just a bit of clever politics which is what politicians do… the government will likely loose the vote when push comes to shove, and/or get a bloody nose if they pick the wrong fight, so they will think of a reason why it is no longer needed…

If they were really smart they would just give people under a certain age, cash as a sort of compensation for being last…

Ted
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message