Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

effort to at least get healthcare back to normal.

Health care is not going back to normal. Certainly not in the UK. The UK health service is a busted flush. GP surgeries already gearing up for viseo appointments only. Hospitals with four year waiting lists for simple procedures. Hospitals with no staff. Money is not the answer. Years of poor management, political dogma, poorly educated population, poverty, all play a part. As Boris stated, it will be a long hard winter..Now who mentioned the Common Flu?

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I don’t think this thread should be closed, it is still impacting GA after all.

For example, our glider club is only now just preparing to fly after 18 months that we couldn’t get an inspector over (the one we had locally died just before COVID started, and then immigration/border restrictions due to COVID made it impossible until recently. However, the inspector who can help us get flying again is rather old and doesn’t want to take the COVID risk of taking the ferry (several hours in a busy space) or go in a human mailing tube (same thing with airports and planes) so I’m going to have to pick him up in the Auster (which is fine, because it’s an excuse to go flying). Unfortunately the nearest time window in which we can do this overlaps with my need to go to England to do see my LAA inspector and get the permit done (which is now in early October rather than May, due again to the first bout of COVID restrictions).

I also only just got my EASA 66 for gliders (and I need 3 years worth of inspections before I can sign off the ARC for our gliders), and without easy access to actually physically work with an experienced inspector, it has made this process a lot harder than it ought to have been.

Andreas IOM

Just picking up on the theme of displaying/presenting COVID vaccination certificates .

I’ve spent a few days in Ireland so downloaded the Irish COVID app which allowed me to upload my UK certificate. It’s come in handy for restaurants and even coffee shops who did want to see it (and write down my phone number and asked for my county). Not required for shopping, outdoor eating, takeaways, hotels etc. It doesn’t seem to be of any use “checking in” to venues like I have been used to in the UK or indeed for any other reason.

I’ve also downloaded the French App and it also recognised my UK certificate. I’ve read that this is now enforced by many French establishments.

My question is whether I would need to download the relevant national App for each country I visit, or if a single app (like the UK one) would suffice. Also are any of these apps required for mandatory proximity detection? This must be a real pain for flight crews and other frequent travellers.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I posted my experience so far here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

My question is whether I would need to download the relevant national App for each country I visit, or if a single app (like the UK one) would suffice.

Actually, one app should be enough. I have the Swiss one and it worked fine in Germany and Bulgaria.

Given the situation of the UK, it may well be a good idea to have one EU app. Even though Switzerland is also not EU and our app works everywhere. (which may be because it was apparently developed here).

There is also a Checker App issued by Switzerland. Funnily, I saw that one being used to check validity for everyone in Bulgaria too. So actually it really appears that the EU covid codes work just fine all over the EU and associated countries.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 05 Sep 19:31
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I have the French Covid app (Tous AntiCovid). You can activate it or deactivate it as you wish. When activated it lets you know if you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. It also contains a wallet to store your vaccine passes and tests. I have the French one and the European one. They are both pretty much the same. At the moment to enter any French restaurant or bar and many other establishments you will be asked to show the QR code on either of these and a member of staff points their phone at it and says okay.
You can of course print them off if you don’t want to carry your smartphone.
As has been pointed out before, its not unknown for the police to turn up to do a check. As with the police anywhere, some can be a bit surly but most try to do it in good spirit and a friendly manner.

France

gallois wrote:

I have the French Covid app (Tous AntiCovid). You can activate it or deactivate it as you wish. When activated it lets you know if you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. It also contains a wallet to store your vaccine passes and tests.

Interesting. In Switzerland, the apps are separate. You got the tracing app and the wallet app separate.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

How do [immunosuppressed people in whom vaccines don’t work] manage currently, with the “common flu”?

It’s not something I’m an expert on, but for the ’flu they would probably have the vaccine anyway, and attend hospital at the first sign of being unwell for some Tamiflu or similar. They will often carry a card explaining their treatment and where to find protocols on what to do.

People with immunosuppression are a diverse group. It’s not all bad news for all of them – the mortality in severe SARS is partially caused by an immune storm, so having an underactive immune system might even give some protection against severe disease for some people. However, if they can’t be vaccinated against COVID effectively, and if we vaccinated people can still spread it to a greater or lesser extent, then they will remain at risk from it.

Last Edited by kwlf at 06 Sep 00:38

I have the French one and the European one. They are both pretty much the same

There are two seperate apps?
Whenever I have looked into this, only “tous anticovid” comes up in france?

I thought that any European countries app was acceptable to any other countries app, not that the EU had an actual app seperate from all the other countries??

If so, can you provide a link?

Regards, SD..

No they are not 2 separate apps but they are 2 separate certificates which go into your wallet. Possibly France brought theirs in a week or 2 before the European one.
I don’t think it matters which one you use, nowadays. At the time I downloaded mine from Ameli (they also have an app) I got the French one and then got an email from Ameli suggesting that I also download the European one. They both seem to have identical information.

France
Sign in to add your message