Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance for ground cover only?

Insurance “Ground risks”

When your aircraft is grounded for lengthy maintenance, you can pay a reduced premium by downgrading to ground risks.
This also covers you for up to 15 hours of flying BUT that flying is for TESTING AND SALES DEMONSTRATION only.
Don’t get caught out; my group has just had a large claim denied because someone (not me) didn’t read the small print…..
Any shares for sale at Booker, White Waltham or Denham?

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 12 Dec 22:53
Forever learning
EGTB

What a bugger! Very sorry to hear.

That’s however an interesting data point, and illustrates that all those saying that insurers pay out on claims where the deficiency was not relevant to the loss, are simply wrong. Clearly if you present a claim big enough to draw attention, they look at the small print…

Thank you for posting it.

I never knew that Ground Risks covers any flying at all. I knew it covers damage during maintenance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My aircraft is currently on ground risks primarily to insure for the hangar burning down and the like, the insurance premium is very reasonable and this reflects the fact that the aircraft is undergoing a major re-build. While I am covered for 15 hours of flying for flight test and the like I would not push this too far , after all how much flight testing would an SEP need after a major re-build ?

In all honesty I can’t see the aircraft needing more than five or six hours to make adjustments and shake down all the systems so any flying beyond about six hours would need very good reason to not be pushing your luck with the insurance conditions.

Peter wrote:

…and illustrates that all those saying that insurers pay out on claims where the deficiency was not relevant to the loss, are simply wrong.

I think that’s misinterpreting. The aircraft was on a ground risk policy, not a regular policy. Permitting any kind of flight on a ground risk policy must be a very special case.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Incorrect. The aircraft was on a normal policy that had been downgraded to ground risks whilst heavy maintenance was undertaken.
6 hours test flying was completed and that was covered under the Terms of the ground risks cover. Aircraft was damaged on its first “non testing” flight.
I post this as a warning to others.

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 15 Dec 17:39
Forever learning
EGTB

Stickandrudderman wrote:

The aircraft was on a normal policy that had been downgraded to ground risks

So in what sense is it incorrect when you yourself say that the policy had been “downgraded”?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

We’ve presently still got our Jodel on “ground risks”. We’ve done this before, but NEVER have flown before changing. It’s not worth the risk.
After a ferry flight from Stronsay island, authorised by the engineer who repaired enough to fly, arriving at Inverness on a beautiful morning, we decided none of the Group should fly until fully repaired.
We’ve had good experiences with insurers, but have tried to be fair with them.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

After reading this thread, I tried to put my Piper on Ground cover as it will realistically be 3 months out of action. I got this from Traffords…….

Thank you for email enquiry.

Unfortunately we are unable to downgrade cover mid-term, apologies. Underwriters will look at the aircraft utilisation when calculating your renewal premium.

Kind Regards

Traffords Lt

Are your brokers Traffords @Maoraigh?

United Kingdom

Yes, mid term they might not downgrade but will reduce the rate at renewal to take into account the grounded period.

Forever learning
EGTB

I can’t remember who they were on previous occasions. We’ve been with Trafford’s, and Haywards, but the Jodel was not with them when we found wing deterioration. It was the online broker. It’s still renewed on “ground” and there will be a new bill when we go to “flying”.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 16 Dec 19:47
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message