Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

French radio

I agree with @boscomantico. Inevitably someone brings up language proficiency in these discussions, and the discussion goes down that route. Which is why I also didn’t mention it. Assuming LP is not the issue, let’s stick to RT license requirements.

And you must have a German language radio certificate for using German in Germany. This old thread also had the relevant quote on that.

The LBA website that that quote came from now gives a 404. But I wouldn’t expect the LBA to be experts on radio licenses. After all, this falls into the competences of the Bundesnetzagentur for German pilots, and probably some ITU treaty regarding international pilots. The LBA was probably correct when it comes to requirements for pilots with a German pilot’s license, but I wouldn’t generalize from such a statement to what laws apply to e.g. an FAA licensed pilot flying through Germany.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 09 May 08:51

Steve6443 wrote:

That has since been deleted

That could well be because FCL.055(a) says the same thing so the German legislation was superfluous.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Rwy20 wrote:

The LBA was probably correct when it comes to requirements for pilots with a German pilot’s license, but I wouldn’t generalize from such a statement to what laws apply to e.g. an FAA licensed pilot flying through Germany.

I would. There is no distinction in the radiotelephony rules on the countries of issuance of the pilot’s license used.

But again, the problem only arises we are only talking those who engage in radiocommunications in German. If you have an radiotelephony operator permit in English (such as the FCC one), and you use English, there is no problem.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 May 09:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That regulation applies only to radio stations of the Federal Republic of Germany (i.e. a radio in a D reg plane).

But let’s assume I want to use my French RT license in a D reg plane in Germany. This is allowed according to this wording, which only requires “a valid RT license”, and not “a valid German RT license”.

The relevant passage that pertains to RT licenses from other EU states can be found in § 14 (6) FlugfunkV:

6) Gültige Flugfunkzeugnisse, die von einem Mitgliedstaat der Europäischen Union erteilt worden sind und zur Ausübung des Sprechfunks in englischer Sprache berechtigen, werden in dem vom jeweiligen Mitgliedstaat festgelegten Umfang allgemein und formlos anerkannt.

This means there is a recognition without any formal procedure of RT licenses from other EU states, to the extent permitted by the emitting state.

My French RT license used to not specify any languages until 2 or 3 years ago. They then started adding a limitation to “French and English”. Since then, I guess you are right and I am no longer allowed to do RT in German with it in a D reg.

Now there would have to be a similar text from French law if I were to take an F reg into Germany.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 09 May 09:40

That regulation applies only to radio stations of the Federal Republic of Germany (i.e. a radio in a D reg plane).

No, it refers to using the radio in Germany.

6) Gültige Flugfunkzeugnisse, die von einem Mitgliedstaat der Europäischen Union erteilt worden sind und zur Ausübung des Sprechfunks in englischer Sprache berechtigen, werden in dem vom jeweiligen Mitgliedstaat festgelegten Umfang allgemein und formlos anerkannt.

It specifically refers to English language permits only. There was no doubt about the fact they Germany does recognize foreign radio permits.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 May 10:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Back to the OP, and putting all legalities aside, maybe we should have EuroGA zooms on RT with Italian, Spanish, French, Dutch, German…RT?

The goal is how to survive “VFR circuit” in a typical local light GA airfield (also including microlight, glider or military runways ), a good reason to go there is when T&P lights flashes

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 May 11:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That’s a brilliant idea

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Back to the OP, and putting all legalities aside, maybe we should have EuroGA zooms on RT with Italian, Spanish, French, Dutch, German…RT?

The goal is how to survive “VFR circuit” in a typical local light GA airfield (also including microlight, glider or military runways ), a good reason to go there is when T&P lights flashes

Was this idea ever implemented in a real thread? I would be happy to contribute.

LFST, France
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message