Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

H'ache

Now I dont think I am a grammar or punctuation nerd, God only knows mine is bad enough, but is it just me that slightly cringes at this slip in English language into the H’ache.

I mean please report point H’ache, if you will.

Or, we must all clap for the N – H’ache – S, as told by the BBC.

I wonder what our American friends on here think?

Or perhaps it will just gradually become the norm to have the H’ache P source with your £100 landing fee and bacon buttie?

I have a theory, and a pragmatic response.

The theory: dropping the audible H where it is required ’as long been seen as the ’allmark of the lower working class, and ’ence those upwardly mobile ’ave to learn ’ow to use it, and on occasion are overdoing it. So we get Haich.

The pragmatic response is “language changes. Live with it.” This is especially true for English, where there is a huge variety of dialects all over the world, a lot of migration, and the relationship between spelling and pronunciation is somewhere between arbitrary and fraught.

Biggin Hill

Well I totally misread the title and thought it was some unusual contraction of Headache.

“Google ":

Last Edited by Emir at 15 Jul 03:12
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Off_Field wrote:

Well I totally misread the title and thought it was some unusual contraction of Headache

Same. My first thought was that it was an onomatopoeia for the sound you make while sneezing, in German usually written as “Hatschi”. Gesundheit!

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Off_Field wrote:

Well I totally misread the title and thought it was some unusual contraction of Headache.

I still don’t get it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Let me help you out;

What about te instead of to? “I went te the pub”

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

Ahh everyone is becoming more French. The “H” (pronounced like Asch ) appears in the written text but is rarely pronounced So you get “opital”(hospital) and “otel” (hotel) which of course sometimes makes the "H " difficult in aviation speech.
But not as difficult as “C” Charlie in aviation speak which is difficult to the French and usually comes out as " Sharlie" :)

France

Well of course the French know nothink. We Brits can often teach them a thing or two.

31 Posts
Sign in to add your message