Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Would you fly in the morning after a night-shift/24h shift?

Yes, I realise that. Perhaps because of increased commercial pressures, but perhaps also because aviation has reached a stage where airliners aren’t crashing fortnightly as they were back then, so there is no longer the same economic and financial imperative to make sure your pilots are firing on all cylinders.

I still think the pilot unions would likely be horrified at some of the medical rotas that are about. I have yet to hear of long-haul flights being flown with one pilot rather than three because one is sick, and the other is on leave and management “couldn’t” find a replacement despite 6 weeks notice.

Last Edited by kwlf at 18 Oct 17:52

MedEwok wrote:

I also usually don’t plan for some complicated flight, it is usually either circuit bashing or a simple A-B or even A-A flight.

When you are really tired but also nervously tired, a very short flight in good condition, such as 30m fly around a great landscape can also really help your mind to un stress and gives you a really good night. I’m not telling you that you should fly, but obviously you, as many medics, are put into strong effort since the beginning of C19, and going for a fly is a nice cure to soul. You may want to go with another pilot friend.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 18 Oct 17:25
LFMD, France

@kwlf
I feel ya. No, really, I do.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks. At the same time, looking back at my post I can see however that it may look like macho one-upmanship or that naive ‘grass is greener on the other side’ envy that many people have of pilots.

However, I have long thought that it interesting that aviation, at least officially if not always in practice, has an appreciation that pilots are not machines and that if you want to reduce mishaps the best way is to accept this and work around it. Looking at the policies-on-busts thread perhaps aviation is moving backwards, and perhaps medicine is making slow steps forwards. But anyway, I am pushing the thread off topic towards one of my minor obsessions. I apologise and will stop.

Last Edited by kwlf at 18 Oct 18:13

I think your post is great, kwlf. All different angles on the same thing.

Many years ago I read an article by an airline pilot who commented on how tired they often are. He and his co-pilot drove home in the same direction. The writer observed his colleague stop at a green light and drive off when it turned red.

I could not do anything much, let alone fly a plane, after the conditions described earlier, but then I am 63

A related thread is here. I often sleep badly before a “significant” flight, and being tired after a long shift would not help at all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have some work involvement in fatigue. One of the most startling things I learnt was that humans fatigue at pretty much the same rate, however individuals perception of how fatigued they are varies widely. Those people who we deride as easily tired / sleepy heads / moan about being tired etc are actually the safer cohort, compared to those us (I am one) who don’t easily recognise our own fatigue and plough on (making loads of mistakes and errors in the process)

It follows that some researchers believe pre flight fatigue checklists / crew assessments and such like are useless as the ‘plough on’ types won’t recognise it anyway; probably conservative restrictions on hours ans duties are the best way to manage.

Last Edited by MattL at 18 Oct 19:54
Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

Didn’t read your post so in anyway @kwlf
I have friends who are doing shiftwork as doctors.
I think to really understand the issues one needs to have experienced it personally. I sympathize with them in any case. Others without the know could simply remain silent but choose to belittle.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I do about 10 night shifts per month. 22-07. I would not dream of flying the next day, not even after a good day#s sleep. actually even driving is dangerous then, at least more than work to home and back.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@mattL great post highlighting the main problem of fatigue vs being tired: you start making absolutely bat shit crazy mistakes without realizing them.

It follows that some researchers believe pre flight fatigue checklists / crew assessments and such like are useless as the ‘plough on’ types won’t recognise it anyway; probably conservative restrictions on hours ans duties are the best way to manage.

I can’t post it but the things and mistakes I’ve experienced would have the public chuckle at the rare „drunk pilot“ tabloid clickbait and seriously concerned about fatigue instead.

Apparently fatigue has similar effects to intoxication

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes there is research suggesting performance after 17hours awake is about the same as 50mg blood alcohol concentration (Scottish and some European drink driving limits)

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message