Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CAA Consultation - UK General Aviation opportunities after leaving EASA (CAP1985)

Has this UK CAA consultation CAP1985 local copy been mentioned here?

Closing date/time is midnight on 18 December 2020.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Well spotted!

I have responded to it, referencing the need to fly all certified and uncertified aircraft, any reg, in UK airspace, on a PPL+PMD. Also the crazy new infringements policy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Although the consultation is necessarily somewhat UK-centric, it would be interesting to hear suggestions from further afield.

Here are a few suggestions, for discussion:

1. Aircraft maintenance and inspection: unilateral approval of all mechanics holding “ICAO” papers to work on G-reg light GA, along the lines of the FAA-TCCA agreement. Adopt the US system for annual inspection by a mechanic with inspection authorisation.

2. Flight crew licensing: the CAA has made a good start by allowing EASA licence holders to fly UK aircraft for 2 years. Extend this indefinitely by issuing an open general validation of all ICAO licences, ratings and medicals.

3. The UK GAR form: Although primarily a Home Office issue, this has such an impact on GA that the CAA and DfT should advocate a workable system on our behalf – 4 hour prior notification for all inbound light GA flights (including the common travel area) and none for outbound.

Last Edited by Jacko at 12 Dec 10:12

I struggled to respond to this one.

Mainly because the rollover of existing things and any new great ideas will come at cost to hire new staff as EASA funding has been lost, so I don’t know where the money would come from. And when there’s no money regulators will naturally lean towards taking much more conservative decisions.

Also other problems that exist today such as mandatory handling, GARs, infrastructure, and the crazy infringements policy wasn’t caused by EASA – therefore leaving EASA won’t necessarily “free” the CAA from it. These issues need to be resolved working alongside the DfT and MPs willing to make or approve changes to law.

There’s also the challenge of divergence and how it will be recognised by surrounding EASA member states. Otherwise one’s plane or licence can be locked-in to flying domestically.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 12 Dec 11:13

EASA funding has been lost

Interesting point. I didn’t realise that the UK was a net recipient of EU/EASA funding. Do we know what the net value of funding from EASA to the UK CAA was?

There’s also the challenge of divergence and how it will be recognised by surrounding EASA member states. Otherwise one’s plane or licence can be locked-in to flying domestically.

Also a good point. In theory UK GA must be treated like Canada or the USA or any other ICAO “member state”, but in practice our European friends could always find a GA equivalent of non-tariff trade barriers.

There is a lot the CAA can do e.g. implementing NPPL+PMD for all aircraft (esp. under 2T) in UK airspace, and without limitation to G-reg. This has 100% safety data backing. Admittedly that will decimate the AME business but that is already well under way with a large chunk of UK PPLs flying on the PMD (6k a year or two ago, and 10k according to a recent post here which has to be at least 50% of active PPLs in the UK).

Then they can amend the ANO to remove the automatic absorption on 31 Dec of the EASA FCL attack on N-regs, which would dispense with the silly £47 annual charade of SRG2140/SRG2142.

Jacko’s points above are all excellent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When we bought our Bolkow BO208C Junior we knew it was on a Permit to Fly. As the document had LAA on it, we assumed it was an LAA Permit, It’s been renewed three times with no problem. I now know it’s on an EASA Permit to Fly, administered by the LAA. I have a new document from the CAA to be carried for flights outside the EU – i.e. in the UK.
I didn’t realise the privelages were so good. Too late now.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message