Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

International Borders

Emir wrote:

Historically, it used to be a part of Denmark

Very historically. Also, Norway was part of Denmark, Finland was part of Sweden etc. — not to mention all the border adjustments in central Europe after 1918 and 1945. I’d say that historical arguments in resolving territorial issues very much have a “best before” date.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 Dec 12:47
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

This is absolute BS. Yes it is useful to speak French in France but I know several Brits who have lived here for 25 years and struggle to say bonjour and they are legal residents.
You do however need to speak French to a reasonable standard and to prove it if you want French nationality.
Ps The Americans is our village speak very good French, the only problem is that the American IRS can’t seem to get their address right and I keep getting their tax demands.

I have no feelings one way or another about the justification for any requirement like that, so please don’t misunderstand me… I was just telling what they told me, hence the use of the word “apparently”. What they told me was that on their second Visa renewal they were required by some method not explained to me to speak French.

Why they hadn’t learned French is a mystery to me. I would have thought if you were living in a place that would be a priority and a pleasure, and French is a very nice language.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Dec 15:17

@Silvaire I have no idea how to do emojis so:))

France

or you can type in

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

France naturalisation (not residence) require speaking French, the only issue is you have to convince your “local maire” in a interview rather than getting a course certificate at university (but then you only need living 2 years (instead of 5 years) in France to get citizenship if you do high education degree ) other than that nothing new, the same you need German/English test to become German/Brit

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

If you are sent to work in another country there may be a small excuse to not specifically learn the language.
However it surely makes sense and it is practical to learn the basics.
If you choose to move to another country, it’s more than likely it would be to avail yourself of something it has to offer, the possible list for that is huge.
If at that point no attempt is made to learn the local language surely that’s a bit selfish, and disrespectful to the locals.

I would like to live in France one day, (prob won’t happen) and would make learning French a priority.

United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that the EU should require all British visitors to have a visa to enter the EU? That would sound very vindictive to me!
Surely having 90 days travel without a visa and only needing a visa if staying longer or intending to work is far preferable to requiring a visa for every trip!? I can’t see how having polite friendly staff at the embassy would make up for having to go there in the first place!

If anything, they would need a Schengen Visa which is then valid for the whole Schengen Area. I suppose the easiest way will be to implement something as a waiver period below which no visa is required for tourism but open the possibility to get a visitors/working/whatever visa for purposes other than that.

Silvaire wrote:

By which you mean Switzerland?

Not only. Lots of Germans, French, Brits and others have rediscovered their own countries this summer, when travel restrictions were still in force. Not the worst thing to do. I still have quite a few places I’d like to see in this country. And I fondly remember my summers on the British channel coast.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Ibra wrote:

you have to convince your “local maire” in a interview rather than getting a course certificate at university (but then you only need living 2 years (instead of 5 years) in France to get citizenship if you do high education degree )

Maybe this might have been the case ~20 years ago? Certainly not now – there is a French language/cultural history test and you need an officially recognised French language qualification.

Regards, SD..

Speaking of forum spam, there seems to be a brisk trade in fake IELTS certificates.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Not only. Lots of Germans, French, Brits and others have rediscovered their own countries this summer, when travel restrictions were still in force. Not the worst thing to do. I still have quite a few places I’d like to see in this country. And I fondly remember my summers on the British channel coast.

I meant Switzerland as the “overcrowded tourist trap” you referred to, to which one takes a jet. That’s what it is to me, and for my purposes it’s fine that way. It’s a fun place for a week or two, Disneyland for vacationing adults who spend a lot of money there annually I wouldn’t personally want to be stuck there without access to adjoining countries, but to each his own.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Dec 21:47
Sign in to add your message