Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acceptance of electronic logbooks (or simple Excel files) in different countries

TobiBS wrote:

but yeah if I remember how long everything else takes them and what situation we are currently in, it will probably be some time
Well, do the NAA’s need to make a positive or a negative list of acceptable formats? Their painpoint with a simple Excel-list will be that you can add or modify flights at any time without the changes being tracked.

I have no personal experience with commercially available flightlog software. Do any of these products offer a fuctionality that prevents this or “watermarks” such changes?

Last Edited by tschnell at 21 Mar 22:46
Friedrichshafen EDNY

Logbook.aero watermarks changes to logged entries.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I still marvel that we are stuck in an environment where authorities feel it is necessary to regulate the exact format of logbooks,w down to the column order.

Biggin Hill

Logbook.aero watermarks changes to logged entries.

Everything “digital” can be worked around unlss the machine itself is physically secure

Changing the system date/time is a useful start… one could write the app to require a GPS fix and then use GPS time, but there are GPS emulators.

Unless an instructor participates in the certificate system (public and private key crypto), with his key signed by the CAA or whatever, his signature means very little. But certificates are a hassle.

I wonder how the current logbook products solve this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Paper logbooks are equally open to fraud

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

TobiBS wrote:

@Airborne_Again, @tmo got my way of thinking. But his argument is good, the problem is that we Germans tend to use English words in our language and change their meaning. That being said if you ask a German, a Face2Face meeting to him will prob99 mean a personal meeting and I guess that is what our lovely LBA (that right now doesn’t accept Level 6 from ILPT, compare the banner on their website) will make from it.

Now that you point that out, I would interpret it in the same way as you do. The question is what EASA really intended… I guess it will be up to national authorities to decide.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Perhaps @bookworm could enlighten us as to the actual intent of the change. This also potentially affects other institutions and in this day and age of “remote everything” might become a significant issue.

Edit: I actually now see that TEA explicitly mentions that the exam is “face to face”. To the best of my understanding the recorded exam is still sent off to the UK for grading. Smart.

Last Edited by tmo at 22 Mar 12:07
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

The requirements for a Pilot’s Log in UK ANO have barely changed over the years and are now in Art 228. It is a Personal Flying Logbook and how you keep it, in a logbook, on a toilet roll or a notebook or a computer is entirely up to the holder. There is no specified layout or format so long as the prescribed items are logged. Why would anyone want anything more prescriptive?

Personal flying log
228.—

(1) A personal flying log must be kept by—
(a) every member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom; and
(b) every person who engages in flying for the purpose of qualifying for the—
(i) grant of a flight crew licence under this Order;
(ii) grant of a flight crew licence issued by the CAA under Part-FCL;
(iii) grant, renewal or revalidation of a rating or certificate under this Order; or
(iv) grant, renewal or revalidation of a certificate under Part-FCL.

(2) The information to be recorded is—
(a) the name and address of the holder of the log;
(b) detailed information about the holder’s licence (if any) to act as a member of the flight
crew of an aircraft; and
(c) the name and address of the holder’s employer (if any).

(3) Detailed information about each flight during which the holder of the log acted either—
(a) as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft; or
(b) for the purpose of qualifying for the grant, renewal or revalidation of a licence, rating or
certificate under this Order or Part-FCL,
must be recorded in the log as soon as reasonably practicable after the end of each flight.

(4) The information recorded in accordance with paragraph (3) must include—
(a) the date, the places at which the holder of the log embarked on and disembarked from the
aircraft and the time spent during the course of a flight when the holder was acting in
either capacity;
(b) the type and registration marks of the aircraft;
(c) the capacity in which the holder acted in flight;
(d) information about any special conditions under which the flight was conducted, including
night flying and instrument flying; and
(e) information about any test or examination undertaken by the holder of the log whilst in
flight.

(5) Information about any test or examination undertaken whilst in a flight simulator must be
recorded in the log, including—
(a) the date of the test or examination;
(b) the type of simulator;
(c) the capacity in which the holder acted; and
(d) the nature of the test or examination.

(6) For the purposes of this article, a helicopter is in flight from the moment the helicopter’s
rotor blades start turning until the moment the helicopter comes to rest at the end of the flight and
the rotor blades are stopped.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 22 Mar 12:38

Cobalt wrote:

I still marvel that we are stuck in an environment where authorities feel it is necessary to regulate the exact format of logbooks, down to the column order.

I didn’t take this as the actual mandatory column order, only these are the informations that must be tracked in the logbook. Can be columns over one line, two lines, three lines, … Can be different order. I would even say that someone not flying ME or MP planes can drop the corresponding columns, a non-instructor can drop that column, etc.

ELLX

Since when were electronic logbooks not allowed. What said your logbook had to be on paper? And if something did, what said it had to be handwritten? I can print my logbook from myflightbook in EASA FCL format and it would look just like my paper logbook except neater and loose-leaf.

Sweden
Sign in to add your message