Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Belarus diverts Ryanair flight to arrest journalist

Russian dictator supports his puppet.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

From what I read in the news, Russian aviation authorities are in urgent talks with airlines and the Russian NAV service to amend the previously approved routes for scheduled flights. Let’s see how long it takes.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

the previously approved routes for scheduled flights.

So the problem is not the non-overflight of Belarus per se but that the routes have to be approved in advance!? Soviet-style paranoia is alive and well in Russia, it seems.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Soviet-style paranoia is alive and well in Russia, it seems.

That’s the hardest thing to change…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Soviet-style paranoia is alive and well in Russia, it seems.

That’s the hardest thing to change…

On one hand, yes. They are always afraid of SIGINT hardware on a passenger plane that does extra recon on a diversion.
On the other hand they need to ensure the radar coverage, think of rescue services as well. You would not believe the stories I heard from the Russian navigators a decade/decade an a half ago about the quality and quantity of ATS in Russia.
Some things changed since (on both counts), but it really takes time.

EGTR

I just checked some airlines tickets online for the time it takes to fly around the area, I sure there is radar coverage (or not required) on the routes from London to Riga (Finnair), then from Riga to Moscow (Aeroflot), I doubt these flights are flown on procedural airways with freecall Moscow after reporting overhead Belarus

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 May 21:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

“On May 25th 2021 the CAA Belarus had released a statement which portrayed to quote the email containing the bomb hoax and being sent by Hamas via Proton Mail (which was instantly denied by Hamas – the conflict in Israel had already stopped in a cease fire at that time) and a supposed transcript of the ATC communication (editorial note: which is at least incomplete and not logical at all).

On May 27th 2021 Proton Mail stated, that the email sent to Belarus was transmitted only 24 minutes after the crew had been warned and a few minutes after the crew had already initiated the diversion to Minsk."

Source: https://avherald.com/h?article=4e7d7208&opt=0

Last Edited by Dimme at 28 May 00:24
ESME, ESMS

Protonmail is gonna lose a good number of their “high privacy requirements” customers after that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Protonmail is gonna lose a good number of their “high privacy requirements” customers after that

Actually I doubt that. Proton Mail has not revealed the souce of the mail but only the time stamp. The way I understand it, they could only do that because some of the recipient fowarded the mails to them. If nothing else, this may well be a huge commercial for people who need this kind of privacy.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Not Verified!

Also amusing is the name the “Hamas” operative used: Ahmed Yurlanov. Yurlanov is a Russian, Bulgarian, Azeri and… Jewish surname.

(Source/Twitter)

Last Edited by Snoopy at 28 May 09:02
always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message