Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

We know there is a surplus of airline pilots and crew now, but this is amazing (Ryanair)

They jusy want to be employed by the airline they fly for and have basic social security.

That’s the problem of legislation. And that’s very close to model that Uber uses in Croatia to avoid laws that strictly regulate transport of people. So if they don’t like the business model of their employer and can show that it leads to bad safety practices they can push the lawmakers to ban such model in CAT.

Last Edited by Emir at 12 Dec 00:35
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I agree. It’s not easy though. The airlines spend big $$$ on lobbying (Airlines 4 Europe, Assoc. of Europ. Airlines etc…). The Ryanair pilots have tried to create theor own “lobby” too but those who step forward and start are quickly dismissed.

always learning
LO__, Austria

How: As fellow aviators, just being aware what’s going on can make a difference

Let’s flip the coin. What has all the thousands and thousands of “fellow aviators” working in an airline done to support private GA? Lots of exceptions (from personal experience), but in general? What has any airline, Ryanair or other, done to make life easier for us “fellow aviators” in private GA?

What I mean is that private GA is seen as a nuisance. It’s a thing the airliners accept, only as long as we “don’t disturb” their all too important job of busing half drunk holiday tourists to sunny parts of the world. Then, suddenly when a handful of commercial pilots feel “left out” by the other commercial pilots, then they suddenly become our “fellow aviators” ?

Nevertheless, I have never traveled with Ryanair, not that I can remember. So you could say I kind of support those “fellow aviators”. We have a much better option in Norway with direct routes to every holiday place you want to go, as well as other places

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

A sound business is based upon two main principles (there are others): treat your customers right and treat your employees right. I hardly ever fly in the back of an airliner, except for transatlantic, but I want the guys/gals in front to be well trained, well rested and happy in their job, even if it means paying a bit more.
The fiancee of my cousin was an ATPL, free lance, rated on bizjets, but had to stop flying because the costs of maintaining the licence were higher than the income generated by flying.

EBKT

What has all the thousands and thousands of “fellow aviators” working in an airline done to support private GA?

I like that. Ryanair, as a condition to flying to Airport X, should demand that Airport X allows GA to use it, at reasonable fees and NO handling.

If I owned an airline I would do that. I would demand ethical behaviour from the airport – not the short-sighted “we have Ryanair or Easyjet, we can f—k GA now” which is what tends to happen. But the reality is that MOL couldn’t give a flying f—k for GA, and that would be the case even if every one of his pilots came via the GA route.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I like how the argument comes full circle: Since the best way to support the Ryanair crews is suggested to be not to use their airline, we need to fly more by GA. Finally I see the relevance of the argument.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 12 Dec 17:40

Peter wrote:

I like that. Ryanair, as a condition to flying to Airport X, should demand that Airport X allows GA to use it, at reasonable fees and NO handling.

If I owned an airline I would do that. I would demand ethical behaviour from the airport – not the short-sighted “we have Ryanair or Easyjet, we can f—k GA now” which is what tends to happen. But the reality is that MOL couldn’t give a flying f—k for GA, and that would be the case even if every one of his pilots came via the GA route.

You’re confusing supporting Ryan Air crews’ with Ryan Air itself!

Peter wrote:

In fairness, I don’t think RyanAir would ever tell an airport to do anything against GA. They simply don’t care. What they will demand is no delays on their turnarounds.

The airport comes to the conclusion that delays are caused by looking after too many ‘low value’ GA movements so they come to the conclusion all by themselves!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I liked what LeSving said as well as Peter and RWY 20.

I wont use Ryanair even if it was for free. Hate the whole concept of having them screw the airports and then demanding first class service from ATC for their cheap payments to the exclusion of GA.

Unfortunately the Dicks in the US are picking up the same model “the sky is ours” concept with the airlines trying to Privatize ATC. Thereby they too can have “priority” service over GA.

Instead the Greens should get busy and decide, do they want all the pollution a jet produces to go on a 300Km flight hauling 125 passengers for the same price as a train would cost hauling 1000 with a time difference of only a 1/2 hour?

My next question comes up in my mind. I know how much it costs me to fly per hour how is it that they can haul someone around for the price they do without some form of Govt assistance?

KHTO, LHTL

The people who operate land transport (buses, trains, etc) aren’t happy that airlines get a huge subsidy in the form of tax free fuel. It is a consequence of international treaties in aviation…

However I don’t believe that

a jet produces to go on a 300Km flight hauling 125 passengers for the same price as a train would cost hauling 1000

is actually correct. I don’t have figures to hand but recall a presentation from some years ago where it was shown the two are much closer and in particular the French TGV is much more expensive per passenger-mile than a conventional (say, British ) slow train. The power required for a train goes up massively with speed and you are well into the megawatts area if you want to get any headlines. We may have a past thread on this but I recall that all present means of human travel cost roughly similar amounts of energy, so the only way to save energy is to not travel as much.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message