Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs and Immigration in Europe (and C+I where it is not published - how?)

Websites or ac-u-kwik (which I have on the g1000).

EGTK Oxford

Many places in Italy require fax for PPR. No email address published.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Experiences will always vary according to one's flying pattern.

It's like the people who say that every hotel they stayed in had great free wifi which worked perfectly in the room

I have been using the ACUKWIK directory since 2007, on and off, mostly off recently because a lot of the airport contact data for S. Europe is bunk. This free site is probably better.

Of flight planning software, I have repeatedly found Navbox is the best for this, but it is no better than perhaps 75% accurate if you take Europe as a whole. One problem is that some of the national AIPs are crap in certain parts, so one can't expect the publications that use that data to be any better. The Jeppview (what used to be called) Text Pages were the worst.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

German LBA also uses fax and only fax for requesting an overflight permission. I am using pamfax and found out that their fax system is incompatible with pamfax! Just a real nightmare... That costed me recently a week-end waiting in PL and CZ to get the permission to enter Germany when flying from Ukraine to Belgium!

A shame that one of the most advanced country in the world in terms of technology still relies on fax for items like that... Even in Romania, you get an answer to your e-mail for overflight permission in the next hour!

So fax is here and will stay here till that the older generation that is computer agnostic will disappear from our environment

Belgium

Email is certainly easier but you first need to find the right one

The way I tend to work this, when planning a future trip with a bit of time to play, is by emailing and faxing at the same time.

I include the email address in the fax - obviously it has to be in the body of the text, because a fax has no address headers. And a lot of people reply by email, which is great.

The outgoing fax service I use is Interfax which seems to be compatible with everybody so far - I've used it for private and business stuff for several years. At work we fax stuff like proforma invoices with it, by generating the whole page (including a letterhead background) as a PDF and just emailing that PDF to Interfax. It is so cheap I have forgotten when I last put money on it...

For some bizzare historical reason I use a different company for incoming fax (delivered to me as a PDF by email - dead handy) - it was probably to do with the fact that one has to purchase a phone number, it has to be a "geographical" one (a lot of people cannot send faxes to premium rate €€€ numbers!!!) and I wanted a number similar to my home number, i.e. a Brighton (01273) one, and most of the firms don't/didn't offer that. I pay £36/year for that number.

Even in Romania, you get an answer to your e-mail for overflight permission in the next hour!

Yes; when I flew to LATI (Albania) they used email perfectly. I think these "formerly backward" countries just skipped a whole generation of old technology!

The problem I see (in aviation and in business) is that so many people can't be bothered to look after their email addresses and keep them working...

Administrator

The problem I see (in aviation and in business) is that so many people can't be bothered to look after their email addresses and keep them working...

That may be true at the margins but I find any airport that is used to accepting turboprops/jets seems to have email as that is how all handling requests are made now. Much smaller airfields (or greece) may not.

EGTK Oxford

Much more true for handling agents, yes.

Why?

$$$$

Administrator

Re paying landing fees at Dinard, I was there last weekend and paid at the kiosk at the fire station.

Much more true for handling agents, yes.

No I mean airports not handling agents.

EGTK Oxford

Caen LFRK was well worth the massive effort (not!) of faxing because their landing fee is, wait for it, €4.70 for the 1400kg TB20... turnaround time was 15 minutes.

Libourne LFDI was another €5. This is a lovely part of France, and only a short run from La Rochelle.

This is France as it used to be... I remember Biarritz charging about €5 a decade ago.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message