Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What if.. you lost your medical?

Copied from the CAA Online Application:

The Medical Declaration is an affirmation of your medical fitness to fly and to exercise the privileges of either a:•EU Part- Flight Crew Licensing (FCL) Private Pilot Licence (PPL) to fly non-EASA aircraft,•EU Part-FCL Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (LAPL) to fly non-EASA aircraft,•National Private Pilot Licence (NPPL),•UK Private Pilot Licence (UK PPL), or a•UK Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) Balloons that is restricted to commercial operation and the privileges of a UK PPL (Balloons and Airships).
To Only Fly an Aircraft no Greater than 2000kg Maximum Take Of Mass (MTOM)

You may fly an aircraft no greater than 2000kg MTOM, provided you are not taking medication for any psychiatric illness, by declaring your fitness to fly by ticking the ‘only fly aircraft no greater than 2000kg MTOM’ declaration at the end of this form.

Flying Non-EASA aircraft with a EU Part-FCL PPL or LAPL

A pilot with an EU Part-FCL PPL or LAPL may fly non-EASA aircraft in conjunction with this declaration.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

OK – a good point.

Something else funny here

So you can use night or the IMCR but only on non EASA aircraft!

This medical declaration is an astonishing concession. For example you can apparently fly 6 weeks after a bypass operation (the DVLA driving recovery time) up to 2000kg, so long as:

“You may fly an aircraft no greater than 2000kg MTOM, provided you are not taking medication for any psychiatric illness.”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The wording surprised me. Not been prescribed any medication for a psychiatric illness would be better. I read horror stories in the newspapers about those prescribed medication for psychiatric illness, but are not taking their medicine.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yes; it sounds like another cockup.

Administrator

Having just seen yet another pilot fail his medical and put his plane (a TB21 GT this time, in the USA) up for sale, I would strongly recommend everybody in the UK to apply for the NPPL.

Then you are subject to the DVLA Group 1 medical requirements i.e. car driving, and having filed the medical self declaration via the CAA website you can be airborne in a simple way (day VFR) while sorting out the other issue which under EASA Med could easily take 6 months plus.

The NPPL reportedly takes 6-8 weeks to be processed by the CAA but if you already had it you can revalidate it with just a flight with an examiner.

It is good for up to 2000kg, in the most basic scenario AIUI.

Administrator

I think you can fly on a UK PPL including Night and IMC/IRR on a declaration. (Pre-JAR/EASA PPL) But only Annex2?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Indeed, but to apply for the initial issue of the UK National PPL you need a current / valid Class 2 medical at the time of the application

Whereas loads of UK pilots, finding themselves either failing the Class 2 outright, or ending up with it suspended due to any one of a hundred things (bear in mind that basically all of EASA Part MED is a list of self grounding conditions) but still being able to legally drive a car, can apply for the NPPL.

The NPPL appears usable for IFR in UK airspace with the IMC Rating (i.e. IFR in Class D/G) but only for non EASA aircraft. Note that EASA IR holders can get the IMCR signed off at the same time as they annually revalidate their IR.

The NPPL appears usable for EASA aircraft until April 2018, so in a year’s time this option will have vanished… unless Brexit changes that. And Brexit should change that, because who cares what the UK does in its own airspace once not in the EU?

If you have an EASA PPL with a current SEP class etc you could fly an SR22 on the newly acquired NPPL.

Administrator

What if I lost my PPL medical?
Well, since I’m based in Belgium and do most of my flying there, I guess my options are, in descending order:
1. Obtain LAPL medical and fly as LAPL holder → if not possible, see step #2.
2. Obtain a Belgian Microlight/ULM permit (Class 4 medical) → if not possible, see step #3.
3. Get myself a French Microlight/ULM permit (no medical required, lifelong) → in any case, see step #4.
4. Ask myself why I am refused all these medicals and if it wouldn’t be better to stay on the ground

All kidding aside, I’m planning on getting that French ULM permit, just in case the rules and/or my situation changes. You need to have options in life…

EBAV

roelsl wrote:

All kidding aside, I’m planning on getting that French ULM permit, just in case the rules and/or my situation changes. You need to have options in life…

Don’t you need a ‘permit to fly’ an F-reg ULM in Belgium? And, if so, wouldn’t that permit only be given if you have a valid Belgian medical? That is how it works in Spain..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

@aart: Yes, you need a ‘permit to fly’to fly F-reg ULM in Belgium. This can be a short-term or a long-term permit (1 yr), with a different fee (of course). But there is no need for a medical when you fly an F-reg ULM with a French ULM license in Belgian airspace. I know Spain has different rules, and some other countries indeed require (Class 2) medicals on top of your national ULM license. Belgium doesn’t.

EBAV
Sign in to add your message