Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Make/models you don't commonly see in Europe?

I believe there was a one on Danish register for many years.

Found a picture on Google.....OY-GEA

EGTR

N8244L, a beechcraft starship is based in Europe:

Since we arrived at canard planes, here is the plane I owned a couple of years ago, a Speed Canard (at EDWB Bremerhaven). Nice plane, fast, but quite tight and has a cooling problem (overhauled 3 cylinders):

EDXQ

Wow...so there are a fair number of Seminoles floating around. I just haven't seen one!

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

This is probably not what people have in mind here, but there are very few TB21GTs around.

Socata made only about 200 GTs and only a small number were the TB21s.

I've come across a number of prospective buyers who were not able to find one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@plouc: great to learn that a Starship is still flying, I always understood and believed that the type certificate was withdrawn at the maker's request. Isn't there a bunch of them tied down at some Arizona desert plane graveyard?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I always understood and believed that the type certificate was withdrawn at the maker's request.

Hi Jan, that doesn't happen for aircraft on N-register, because it wouldn't be legal. The FAA Type Certificate lasts forever unless the FAA decides otherwise on the basis of safety and issues an AD - which would be a very big and unusual deal requiring a lot of justification. Any owner has to maintain their aircraft according to FAA requirements to fly it, but how he achieves that is his own business. The original manufacturer (or other 'support organization') need not exist and has no mandatory role in maintenance regardless of whether it supports the type or not.

Isn't there a bunch of them tied down at some Arizona desert plane graveyard?

I believe what happened is that Beech sold only a fraction of those made, stored those they couldn't sell, and eventually scrapped them. If I remember correctly they also bought back some of those they did sell, but the owners were not obliged to sell and the FAA explicitly supported them in their right to continue operating their aircraft regardless of Beech.

I have a kind of (very) loose connection with the proponent of developing the Starship at Beech. Its interesting that Beech tried again in a way with the composite Hawker 4000, and broadly similar business issues occurred. The Hawker is a very nice way to get around and could recently be bought very cheaply out of inventory - if any multimillion dollar price tag could be considered cheap.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a Skymaster in Europe although I'm sure there's plenty around.

Until a few years ago, about 10 (!!) of them were parked in a corner of the Seville (LEZL) GA apron. IIRC all N-reg, quietly rotting away. Sad sight. I suspect they were leftovers from the nearby Moron AB when this was still a USAF installation. They're all gone now.

28 Posts
Sign in to add your message