Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A Snapshot of UK Instrument Approach Status

Yes RNP is removed now (no AFIS it’s AG now), runway closed to 22 July, airport closed to visitors to 22 August…

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Jul 12:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

Xtophe wrote:
The Sywell IAP were removed from the AIP in April.
When?!

They were formally removed from the AIP in AIRAC 04/2022 (21 Apr 2022).
It’s also possible they were removed before with an AIC/NOTAM.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Xtophe wrote:

Xtophe wrote:
The Sywell IAP were removed from the AIP in April.
When?!

They were formally removed from the AIP in AIRAC 04/2022 (21 Apr 2022).
It’s also possible they were removed before with an AIC/NOTAM.

@Xtophe, any background on this?
Why, until what date, etc.
It sound a bit like a joke – it took them a few years to introduce the IAPs, and now it is gone…

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

@Xtophe, any background on this?

Nope. Not IR pilot, not even a power pilot. Just noticed it in the chart amendments

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Sywell 6/day is useless anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s a big problem when it comes for training .

Coventry was a big loss in the midlands and if doncaster goes it will make things even more difficult.

I had to take a PA32 to the isle of mann the other month as it was the only place I could get an approach.

Cant ssy I would fancy that in the middle of winter.

Ibra wrote:

Does LNAV/VANV count as 3D approach in Sweden and ticks what you need for FCL CBIR exam?

The EASA regulations for IR skill tests in part-FCL (including CBIR) explicitly refers to LNAV/VNAV as 3D approaches. Sweden is part of the EU so I don’t see how it could not.

Also LNAV/VNAV approaches provide glide path guidance so they are 3D approaches by definition, so I don’t see why anyone would consider them as 2D approaches. Do you have any examples of that?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 21 Jul 08:48
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sywell’s instrument approaches were of no practical use anyway. Besides the 6 per day restriction, I believe they were limited to based commercial operators.

It was really just a piece of promotional puff to show that the CAA was making things happen on GNSS approaches at smaller (non-ATC airfields). I have no information on the subject, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Sywell got some sort of ‘deal’ on the CAA fees.

Not sure what is happening at the airfield itself – they have made no public pronouncements that I’m aware of. It has been ‘doing a Cranfield’ (mostly closed, open occasionally with such limited hours as to be of no practical use) for a little while now. My guess is that after some period of this we will see a planning application for change of use (housing is most profitable, but warehousing is good too) on the basis that the airfield is hardly used and there is no demand for it.

Last Edited by Graham at 21 Jul 08:51
EGLM & EGTN
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message