Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Coming out: bought an Arrow!

Mooney_Driver wrote:

That is what the Boeing Max folks thought as well. Nope, it is very critical indeed.

Ok! Point made! I promise I will take the advice on it seriously.

WillamF wrote:

In a Piper Electric Trim run away you must either turn off the master or pull the Circuit Breaker.

I am not near the aircraft now, but there is in fact a white rectangular button below the yoke and here’s what my POH says:

EPKM, Poland

Yes, that is the one. If you push that button, electric trim should be disengaged. You might want to try it once on the ground. I thought it’s actually part of the checklist.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

[Thread drift warning: pertinent but drift nonetheless]

WilliamF wrote:

a hugely important safety item

To add some colour, I had two instances of a trim runaway on our Cessna P210. Both due to an intermittent autopilot fault which took some effort to troubleshoot.

On the first occasion the aircraft pitched up wildly over 2G’s before I caught it by pushing on the yoke (see note below) and then the trim disconnect switch. Because of the interconnection between A/P and electric trim on our aircraft, they cannot always be activated/deactivated in the same way depending on autopilot engagement. However, someone at Cessna was thinking clearly when they positioned both A/P disconnect switch and trim disconnect switch next to one another on the yoke itself, in a way that a single flip of your LH hand fingers can disconnect both.

On the second occasion I was half-expecting it after some troubleshooting and turned it off before any harm was done.

Things could have gotten extremely serious had I not been previously aware of these two switches and their functions. Not only had I before flight become deeply familiar with the POH and the intricacies of the variations on our particular airframe, but I also enjoyed a huge luxury worthy of the makings of our Lady of Loreto or perhaps our Lady of Czestochowa who I had been worshiping in situ shortly prior to the incident (or by coincidence if it makes you feel any better):

While I was acquiring the aircraft in Carson City Nevada, I bumped into this wondrous and Christian human soul of a person: the late George Clary, an ex-NASA aerospace engineer , FI, A&P with IA. He offered to do a few hours training with me on the aircraft before I went on my own. Some of the most beautiful pieces of flying I did in my career, around the SW USA. He had this test-pilot mentality of understanding all systems in hand and showing how each one can kill or save you. He later even went on to hangar and look after our airplane for months while I was back home until we could ready it for our epic first transcontinental then transatlantic ferry to our home island….but that is another story. I will never be able to repay George enough.

I was solo with a non-pilot friend at the time of the first trim runaway incident. Had it not being because of George’s generous training, maybe our beloved 210, but perhaps worse, my human body, and even worse still, that of my accompanying friend would now be but yet another mangled heap of metal and flesh on the desert of the Western USA.

BTW I happen to be an aerospace engineer myself and did have a short stint on flight testing in my younger days. I will never again underestimate the importance of putting myself in a position to learn from others…climbing onto and standing on the shoulders of giants

So kudos to you for engaging in this forum, but I am sure there are also people who you can use for guidance or even just APOE around your place!

Mooney_Driver wrote:

what the Boeing Max folks thought as well

Well it could be read as if Boeing did not build a trim disconnect switch into the Max…not only does it have very prominent trim wheels that are impossible to miss when automatically activated, but also two pedestal trim disconnect switches: in case of doubt you can activate both (the difference between one and the other vs prior 737 variants was source to some discussion during the Max accident investigations). Needless to say in neither of the accident aircraft the trim was disconnected before things got too far out of hand.

APOE= another pair of eyes
(note) Usually when exerting force in pitch on the yoke on an aircraft with autopilot and autotrim engaged, unless in CWS mode, the autopilot will start trimming against you , making things really bad in a matter of seconds. So the "yoke overpowering " option may only work for a very short time until trim overpowers you…the solution is a disengagement of the system, then manual trim until you, first, regain control of the aircraft and then, perhaps figure out what was going on.

Last Edited by Antonio at 29 Aug 09:50
Antonio
LESB, Spain

WilliamF wrote:

In a Piper Electric Trim run away you must either turn off the master or pull the Circuit Breaker.

William, just wanted to thank you to point that out. I haven’t had that potentially critical error mode in mind. In a Comanche that is even more important, because of the stabilator design, there is a huge amount of force on the yoke if you want to play against trim. I’ll investigate on that ASAP to stay “ahead of my aircraft”.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

William, just wanted to thank you to point that out. I haven’t had that potentially critical error mode in mind. In a Comanche that is even more important, because of the stabilator design, there is a huge amount of force on the yoke if you want to play against trim. I’ll investigate on that ASAP to stay “ahead of my aircraft”.

Piper made such a range of aeroplanes, and each of them had slightly different systems. There are some Piper Aircraft that have a trim disconnect under the yoke, and in other aircraft, the same button in the same place is for Autoflite II. You are right to make a note of it, and the associated circuit breakers. For the price of a cup of coffee, you can mark the relevant circuit breakers.

https://skygeek.com/dance-air-10164-5-circuit-breaker-collar-red.html

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
106 Posts
Sign in to add your message