Pilot attitudes to working together

Posted on FB:

A quick and dirty analysis of reactions/responses:

13 – think it is rude to not turn up and say nothing
7 – think it is right to just not turn up
4 – do not understand the issue

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the puzzle itself is a puzzle. What is the issue?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If the question was taken seriously, it only shows that 46% of respondents are jerks.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

it only shows that 46% of respondents are jerks.

Exactly.

It shows disrespect for others and for the work of others, especially those in lower paid jobs than most pilots have.

Now, who really wants to run a GA airport?

Administrator

The days where the senior purser could only speak to the Flight Engineer (would the captain like tea? For example) are fortunately long gone. We are all blue collar heavy machine operators now :)

Having good a relationship with ops crew is learned pretty early
In the job.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Ha ha. Couldn’t make head or tail of what the issue was supposed to be. Fire crew moving planes ? Fireman Sam ?

Read it again and looked at this:

I’m sure those fire men could easily move those planes out of the way, or they are really lousy firemen.

But seriously, is this a real thing? People asking fire man to move their planes out of the hangar, only for show? Where is this, UK?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think the answer is for people to have their own hangar doors, move their own planes and let the fireman get a real job instead. End of social problem.

Aircraft continue to provide insight into life in general

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jul 15:19

Yes; it depends on how much space is available.

That example was (as some would have realised) based on EGKA, and a recent situation there. The only places where planes can be left outside are within the red line marked area, so 3 planes in total can be located which can all get out.

It is fairly normal for things to get jammed when people ask for planes to come out of the hangar and don’t turn up to fly and don’t say anything. It tends to be renters or syndicate members who do this. Other airports have a much bigger tarmac area where stuff can be left.

The benefit of having the fire crew move planes is that there are no fires so this avoids paying pointless salaries. Plus they don’t (usually) bend the planes, whereas planes in a private hangar get bent fairly often and you never find out who was responsible

Administrator

I’m not really trying to move off topic, but I see lots and lots of room for hangars if the will was there

Also one might ask why a limited number of planes moved out of the hangar for use can’t be parked temporarily on a potion of the large concrete ramp or grass to the upper right… or anywhere else to get them out of the way.

The point about having trained and identified people move planes is a good one if you are forced by circumstances to let other people touch your plane.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jul 16:25

The apron in front of the hangar is the refuelling area. They can’t leave planes there for hours.

The large apron you can park on, indefinitely, but it is a long way to tow the planes; they do it sometimes but only rarely.

Obviously if you were designing an airport you would not do it this way, but in Europe land is very expensive. Also any place in a reasonable condition needs commercial property income and Shoreham got hit in past years by property sharks who stripped the rental incomes and sold them to some financial sharks in London, and then took the cash and ran off went bust

Anyway, this is a detail; my point was how many people involved in GA don’t seem to give a toss about others. Not surprising really to anyone who has been in GA for years, and it explains a lot.

If the airport shut (which I am sure it won’t) these people will be on FB and “boycott every place charging more than £10 to land” Flyer, moaning about losing yet another airport.

Administrator
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message