Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA going after BMI over 40

FAA

The UK CAA is on the act also.

Time to cut back a little on the bacon butties?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s the bread, Peter. Haven’t you heard of Paleo?

Lots of commotion about this amongst the representation organisations stateside (AOPA/EAA etc) and their view is that there is no evidence that obesity per se and OSA has not been implicated in aviation accidents.

I don’t have the data, and suspect there may indeed well not be any such data – as an accident caused by excessive tiredness due to OSA may be difficult to identify.

What I do know is that obesity and OSA is clearly linked to adverse health outcomes and that those go well beyond feeling knackered and excessive daytime sleepiness. Increased incidence of stroke, heart attacks etc are but a few of the conditions which are much more common amongst those suffering from OSA.

Weightloss is difficult but achievable but if that can not be done the next best thing is to recognise that there is an issue and have the proprietary treatment (CPAP)

as an accident caused by excessive tiredness due to OSA may be difficult to identify.

I recently read about one, cannot remember if it was Flying or AOPA mag. But you are pro right, it’s a tough cause to ID.

Weightloss is difficult but achievable but if that can not be done

Why? It’s always achievable.

Btw, for fun I just ran a calculation how much I would have to weigh to get to a BMI of 40 – scary result, to say the least! I’m by no means a skinny lad, but getting to that level…..

Last Edited by 172driver at 22 Nov 17:38

An immense can of worms.

What about the numerous other occupations that endanger people’s lives? Compared to a GA-pilot, I think an obese bus driver reacting too slowly would cause much more more injuries to his passengers, and to others. Apply the same rules there then?

Personally speaking, somehow I get my body to feel very much awake when I go flying, knowing what is at stake.. I am not obese (although my wife disagrees) but even my obese mates probably experience the same. You are even more alert than when driving, true??

I have always thought that flying in the US was heaven compared to Europe in many respects, but maybe I need to revise that notion.

A solution in search of a problem..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

QuoteI have always thought that flying in the US was heaven compared to Europe in many respects, but maybe I need to revise that notion.

I know a commercial pilot (former colleague) who lost his German (then JAA) class 1 medical due to his BMI. But he is really really ”huge". It does happen in Europe as well…

EDDS - Stuttgart

AOPA is on the case.

I cannot speak for Class I or II medicals, but my last FAA Class III medical took about 15 minutes including writing the check.

Only that in Europe you can loose your medical class 1 for being over BMI30 and class 2 for being over BMI35.

And then there are flight surgeons who will deny you a medical class 2 with a BMI of 31 too. And before you ask: without ANY other medical concerns.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 23 Nov 00:20
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Well, I have a BMI of 27. 87 kg at 180 cm
To have a BMI of 40 I would have to weigh 130 kg!

Perhaps, if developing a seat sharing site from which anybody could turn up, one would have a field for this parameter for the prospective passenger?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message