Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question to the German users: Filling plane with canisters legally ok?

The gas station at my home field has replaced the former Mogas-pump with UL91. As all the planes of my flying club can use mogas (and UL91 is quite a bit more expensive than Mogas), the club is now thinking about buying a mobile IBC (basically a tank on wheels) and filling it with car petrol to supply the club’s planes.

All other approvals (e.g. the owner of the field needs to agree to have such tank stationed on its land) and issues with this aside: One of the manufacturers of such tanks is adamant about one point which is that according to some EU-harmonisation which became law in Germany in 2002 (“Betriebssicherheitsverordnung”) it is basically forbidden since that time to fill a plane in Germany from canisters.

Do you have any information on this?

Some fields prohibit by way of their terms and conditions the use of canisters for safety reasons or to protect their local gas station but that is a decision by the field operator, not a law. I have spoken to the staff of some fields today and they are not aware of any such regulation (although their T&Cs might forbid filling one’s plane with anything other than what comes from their pumps).

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Sorry, can’t help you with that particular Verordnung.

But since I guess you are talking not (only) about Rotax powered airplanes but also about planes with Lycoming engines, are you sure the fuel from the local petrol station has less than 1% alcohol? I would be careful with that.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

No, you can be sure it has much more tha 1%. I heard that only TOTAL guarantees less than 1% for their MoGas, at least that’s what the guys at my airport told me

As a microlighter, and in a (mostly vain) effort to keep my little mastery of German alive, I lurk a lot, and post rarely, on www.ulforum.de The original subject has been debated there repeatedly, as has the alcohol matter.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Sure, but 95% of them fly Rotax engines, which can tolerate up to 5% alcohol. Most Lyco and Conti STCs specify max 1%, if I remember correctly.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Jan 16:38

Speaking of maximum alcohol content in fuel for Lycontinentals, I wonder if there is an STC’d modification that would do away with that requirement by changing some gaskets etc. in the fuel system – after all, there are Lycoming models certified to run on E85.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

only TOTAL guarantees less than 1% for their MoGas

That is correct. But I was told by a friend with connections to Total that they are moving out of this market. Don’t quote me on this as it might not be the official line of Total or even total hearsay.

I spoke to a couple of other clubs using “tanks on wheels” at their fields. Their attitude towards alcohol is rather widespread. Some do not test the fuel they buy at all, others test every batch they obtain. The feedback I got from two clubs which purchase rather a lot of car petrol (30.000 l and 40.000 l p.a respectively) for their fleets of both ULs with Rotax-engines as well as Lyco-powered Echo-class planes, and they seem to test every batch, was that every tank of SuperPlus they purchased contained less than 1% of alcohol and that SuperPremium (e.g. Aral Ultimate or Shell V-Power) contained only traces of alcohol.

RXH

95% of them fly Rotax engines, which can tolerate up to 5% alcohol.

True, but that says nothing about the rest of the fuel circuit.
Actually, not really true to the letter: Rotax 912 are now even “certified” for 10% ethanol.
But the fuel tanks, filters, valves, tubing, pre-pump, &c. are outside Rotax’s control.
Fibreglass wet-wing tanks are a particularly delicate subject.

Last Edited by at 25 Jan 17:21
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

www.ulforum.de

Thank you, I will have a look there. Did not come across this site with my Google-search for cannisters and planes …

RXH

But I was told by a friend with connections to Total that they are moving out of this market

Of course they are. UL91 is their product that replaces their mogas.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message