Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Biggest things which stop people giving up flying?

‘I reckon a Jetprop has much less consumption than a Mu2 or a King Air’

Jetprop..
34 USG hr @ FL270 x 265kts
or 28 USG hr @ FL270 x 240kts if you are not in a hurry

You can still choose your AME yourself

Yea. initially. But you need to give a reason why you change him for the repeat exams. Apart, most of them read the same stuff…

240kts if you are not in a hurry

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Yea. initially. But you need to give a reason why you change him for the repeat exams.

This must be some Swiss goldplating. Since taking my first class II medical in 2005, I have been to 4 different physicians for no particular reason. Never were any questions asked.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Yea. I changed twice, once my suregon retired (without telling me so nasty surprise when I wanted to turn up for the check) and once because I moved. In both cases I had to justify it in front of the FOCA, which was formless in the sense that the new suregon hat to write on the form why I change. Heard of others however where a change was not approved.

In both cases I had to justify it in front of the FOCA, which was formless in the sense that the new suregon hat to write on the form why I change

Then just do it outside Switzerland. A medial from any of the EASA member states does the job. Next time you fly to Plovdiv…

I have to say that it’s a question I’d be asking whether it were on the form or not. Obviously there are lots of potential good reasons – I got my medical done in Inverness and now I live hundreds of miles away.

You can’t detect everything by examinations and blood tests – a lot depends on what people tell you – so if I were an AME (I’m not) with a suspicion someone wasn’t being quite open with me, I’d want to run a mile.

Last Edited by kwlf at 10 May 22:48

Well, I could do that but don’t really want to. Will see what happens in June. Still some time to reduce weight until then.

if I were an AME (I’m not) with a suspicion someone wasn’t being quite open with me, I’d want to run a mile.

I don’t see a problem there. At least over here, it starts by filling out a comprehensive form asking all sorts of health questions and a signature at the end. If I say I don’t have epilepsy, then that’s enough for the AME. For the rest of the stuff, the AME follows prescribed procedures.

The criteria are rather lax. Keep in mind that most private pilots are granddaddies. You get the medical with a very poor overall health condition but get it refused for very small disabilities that are completely irrelevant to the safety of flight (hearing problems in the age of headsets, color vision, etc.). If I had difficulties, I would seek regulatory arbitrage and get my medical from which ever banana republic that happens to be EASA member.

In Croatia you can go any time to any AME listed officially on CAA web site. No questions asked – standards are there, you have to comply and AMEs are submitted to CAA’s audit.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

… I got my medical done in Inverness and now I live hundreds of miles away.

I know quite a few pilots (all class 1 medicals) who drive across the length of Germany once per year to see their “old” AME. Not because they have to, but of fear that a new AME will discover issues the old one has overlooked, either by mistake or deliberately to bond a customer to him. Since I have the class 1 medical, I had to change AME twice: The first one was forced to retire by the authority at age 77 or 78 when JAR-FCL came upon us – under German regulations he would have been allowed to practice as long as he wanted. With him it was very easy going: When your medical was about to expire, he would send you a new one with the mail and whenever he had time to see you you would then do the examination, which was done mostly by his wife (because he didn’t see and hear too well any more)… A colleague of mine got away without a “glasses entry” in his medical for over a decade because he always wore contact lenses when seeing this doctor. The next one was sacrificed by the aeromedical centre he worked for over some irregularities – one needed to be named as culprit, otherwise the AMC would have to close as a whole. He was the oldest one, so it had to be him. Does all this sound like Germany? Not really

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message