Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many syndicates require annual pilot qualification verification?

I don’t think many check this, but if a member gets airborne with e.g. an expired medical and crashes it, the insurer probably won’t pay out – because the flight was clearly illegal the moment it got off the ground.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That would be the PIC’s responsibility and his financial risk then. If one of the pilots flies illegally, the insurance will pay out to the owner but will take action against the pilot involved.

For syndicates, where all of them are owners, yes, it is a good practice for one appointed member to keep records. And to put a clause in the contract forming the syndicate that any member is fully responsable for any damages resulting from such things.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Unusually for business the UK aircraft insurers are very gentlemanly about such errors, if a guys medical is out by a few days and it is a genuine mistake they are likely to pay…………… If he has failed his medical they won’t.

And to put a clause in the contract forming the syndicate that any member is fully responsable for any damages resulting from such things.

I would expect the member to walk away from such a claim, however, because if he prangs say a 100k-200k aircraft he will prob90 have to sell his family home. That leaves you with having to get a court judgement and sell it for him, which isn’t going to work if there is anybody else living there, especially kids under 18. I don’t think that is a good option to rely on.

Unusually for business the UK aircraft insurers are very gentlemanly about such errors, if a guys medical is out by a few days and it is a genuine mistake they are likely to pay…………… If he has failed his medical they won’t.

Yes – a UK loss adjuster told me more or less that. Basically they won’t pay out if the pilot or the aircraft is not legal for the flight, straight away.

Administrator

That would be the PIC’s responsibility and his financial risk then. If one of the pilots flies illegally, the insurance will pay out to the owner but will take action against the pilot involved.

That depends on the insurance law of the country the aircraft is based/insured in; and might only apply to the third party element of the insurance, if at all…

Biggin Hill

That would be the PIC’s responsibility and his financial risk then

In Germany, the club’s president would sure be in trouble, too. Crazy, but that’s the way our world goes today.

It’s also why hardly anybody can be bothered to do these jobs (idem for flight instructing in a club without reward).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

the club’s president would sure be in trouble, too

Reason enough for not having a president – there’s no obligation to have one, is there?
But then like as not, for lack of a president, the insurer would be sueing ALL participants.

That is indeed how the world goes, today. Was this what the consumer’s clubs wanted with their eternal price/quality comparisons?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

With a small group of six, we don’t have a formal check – but tend to let one another know our position re medical and currency. The replacement value of the Jodel is not much above the car mart value of my car.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The cost of something which a group member crashes into, plus passenger liability, probably would be, however. If it is just a normal partnership, all members are liable for each other’s actions.

Administrator
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message