Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any N-reg pilots here, looking at EASA FCL?

Yes - that is correct. See e.g. here.

All private ops get the extra year.

Incidentally I don't think AOC ops ever had the ability to fly in say UK airspace on FAA licenses only. You could have put an N-reg plane onto a UK AOC but subject to various extras.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter

Where do you read this??

There has "always" been a conversion route for commercial pilots who have a certain experience.

The applicable pages are 221 till 225. However 4 of these pages are for validation which is only valid for 1 year. Only the last page is concerning conversion and that only describes that you can convert your Icao ATPL to a EASA PPL.

I have it here, under "What Next?"

I don't have an original reference to hand but my impression is that this has been a well established route for years. Obviously it doesn't help a private pilot, or anybody flying a non Part 25 (multi pilot) plane.

Also EASA FCL accepts ICAO type ratings directly.

Administrator

I am not sure if this has been asked before (probably has). But if I had a CB IR attached to my EASA PPL at some point in the future, do people think that the FAA would recognise it automatically and add an IR to my piggy-back FAA PPL? I believe there would still be Instrument Rating Foreign Pilot exam to do at least.

I’m sure that’s too hopeful, and maybe impossible to ask as the CB IR license isn’t ‘real’ yet. My situation is that for the foreseeable future, I will only be flying N reg, but I cant justify the time and expense of doing an IR in the US, and while it is possible to do the FAA IR training in the UK (I know a few people who have done it), I cant do it at my base anyhow. I am hoping that a more local base will do the EIR and CB IR when it becomes available, though I would only be able to use the privileges in the UK, unless I had an IR attached to my FAA license. The other option is sell my N reg, and in a year or so, just buy into a G-reg and then I have worldwide IR privileges on one license.

Peter, for ATPL conversion to EASA one gets credit for the ground school, but not for the exams themselves, or at least that’s what I inferred yesterday while checking the regulations for a friend of mine who has US and Canadian ATPL but needs an EASA one.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

But if I had a CB IR attached to my EASA PPL at some point in the future, do people think that the FAA would recognise it automatically and add an IR to my piggy-back FAA PPL? I believe there would still be Instrument Rating Foreign Pilot exam to do at least.

If you have a 61.75 “piggyback” FAA PPL and an ICAO IR (and the CB IR will be a full ICAO IR) then you can do the Foreign Pilot IR Exam to get the FAA IR.

I would never sell an N-reg plane – the advantages of being N-reg are substantial, for most pro-active owners.

for ATPL conversion to EASA one gets credit for the ground school, but not for the exams themselves, or at least that’s what I inferred yesterday while checking the regulations for a friend of mine who has US and Canadian ATPL but needs an EASA one.

AFAIK, to get an EASA ATPL, you need the 14 ATPL exam passes, unless you follow the Part 25 route. I don’t think there is any way around that.

An interesting question, for an N-reg bizjet pilot flying non AOC ops (basically flying the owner around), is whether he needs an ATPL. AFAIK he needs only the CPL/IR, and I can’t see why he would need an EASA ATPL to comply with the anti N-reg provision in EASA FCL. I recall that one needs an ATPL to be LHS in a multi pilot jet but I don’t know if that applies to Part 91 ops; I think thiose can be flown by 2 x CPL/IR pilots. However this is not my area at all…

Administrator
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message