My favourite aircraft, in my favourite flying area

The F16 being SE I would not have to re-do my licenses or ratings either

If I had to pay the running costs then I would fly this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Having multi engine I could go to this:

Although the PA-46 has better range...

EGTK Oxford

Thing is, neither your F-16 or F/A-18 is much good as a strip aeroplane, nor brilliant for taking your friends and family up. I like strip flying and taking people for lunch. So if you're hellbent on a fast jet, surely this is a much better choice....

You can take your wife with you, and land on the grass at Popham for a bacon sandwich. (And it's a single engine, which should keep Peter happy - as well as that the cockpit on the late models: GR7 onwards is basically the same as the F/A-18 cockpit.)

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

nor brilliant for taking your friends and family up.

Governor Schwarzenegger was able to take his daughter and a villain up in a single seater, so the two-seater should be good for at least four people ;-)

(The movie is called "True Lies")

EDDS - Stuttgart

I must admit I thought that was one of the Governator's best movies. Technical codswollop, but great entertainment.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

Indeed. Sort of an American James Bond.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

If I had to pay for the running costs I would get something sensible. Economical, four-cylinder engine, you know the type. In short, something like this:

Pitts S-1T

Or a nice economical fast tourer, the Zlin Z.XIII.

If I wouldn't be paying for the running costs, something a little less sensible would be nice. Like this:

Polikarpov I-16

Or perhaps a MiG-3.

If it had to be a jet I'd rather have this than any modern supersonic fighter. Nice and lightweight, straight wing, good for aerobatics, minimal amount of electronic wizardry.

Yak-32

[Mod: edited to put each pic on a new line, with a blank line above it and below Normally the site will do that for you but not if the pic is well below 800 pixels wide]

EHLE

If I am paying running costs, a Supercub PA18-150.

Otherwise a Beech 18.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Thanks, Peter. I struggle somewhat with image formatting on this site.

The previous post was made from a Firefox browser on a Mac. When I hit 'preview post', I only see a very narrow letterbox sized preview area which I can scroll through. It seems the preview box has a fixed vertical size instead of expanding with the increasing length of the post. Feature, bug? :-)

EHLE

I struggle somewhat with image formatting on this site.

There is (or was) a known issue with IE8 and the Preview Post feature, but FF ought to work OK. However I don't have a Mac to test it on.

However there is little point in using Preview because you can edit your post for up to 2hrs afterwards anyway.

I have put various tips under Posting Tips, but do let me know if any of that is unclear of if other stuff should go in there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message