Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna announces Thielert C172

Finally it will happen, a C172 with a factory Centurion 2.0S.

CESSNA ANNOUNCES DIESEL POWERED 172, THE TURBO SKYHAWK JT-A

At an AirVenture press conference Cessna announced the development of a diesel powered 172, the Turbo Skyhawk JT-A.

The Skyhawk JT-A is fitted with a Continental CD-155 diesel engine and is expected to offer a number of benefits in
addition to operating with more widely available JET A fuel. Maximum range is 1,012 nm, a 58 percent increase over the
standard Skyhawk, and maximum speed is increased to 131 knots while fuel burn is expected to see a 25 percent reduction.

Textron Aviation plans to offer the Turbo Skyhawk JT-A as a factory option beginning in 2015. The CD-155 is
already certified by EASA for retrofit to newer Skyhawk’s under a supplemental type certificate.

When Cessna introduced the Turbo Skylane JT-A a few years back they went out of their way to avoid
using the word “diesel” to describe the engine, fearing that the word “diesel” had unflattering
connotations. They used terms back then such as “compression ignition.” But everyone in the industry
called it the Diesel 182 so Cessna market has realized it was linguistics battle that could not be won, so now
there is not hesitation to use the word “diesel”.

Cessna has great hopes that the diesel versions of the 172 and 182 will greatly enhance their sales of piston engine
aircraft in both Europe and Africa. List price is expected to be about $435,000 complete with G1000.

During the press conference CPA’s John Frank had a chance to visit with Textron Aviation (the new parent company
of Cessna, Beechcraft and Hawker) CEO Scott Ernest. John described the discussion as brief and more social
than business but both agreed we should chat soon on items important to Cessna piston owners and
Cessna Aircraft Company.

One should add that they intend to charge 65.000 USD (!) more than for a Lyco 172 which has already reached “pharmacist’s pricing”, as we say in Austria …

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I reckon Cessna sales will fall to zero soon. Who is going to pay $500,000 inc taxes for a C172?

I think if I were a flight school I’d prefer the Redbird Hawk solution for less than $250k.

Tecnam seems to have supplied practical replacements for the 152 and 172 with reasonable world wide sales. Whether they will still be bashing circuits in forty years as many Cessnas, only time will tell!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

My club has also substituted a new P2008 for an end-of-hours C152. I share the doubts about its longevity!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Tecnam seems to have supplied practical replacements for the 152 and 172 with reasonable world wide sales.

No they haven’t. While I fit (and am perfectly able to instruct in) either the 150, the 152 or the 170 / 172, I have no chance to do so in any of those Tecnams. I just don’t fit in there. Not uncomfortably, and very much not comfortably. Why someone chooses to build a plane for flying schools and clubs with even less space than in a 1950s construction, I don’t even try to understand.

Last Edited by mh at 29 Jul 20:26
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Why someone chooses to build a plane for flying schools and clubs with even less space than in a 1950s construction, I don’t even try to understand.

Agreed. I recently sat (on the ground!) in something called an Alpha Trainer. Had to fold my legs three times to get in, let alone getting out. And had a stick. Horrid.

I certainly find the P2008 a lot easier to enter and exit than the 172SP.

LSZK, Switzerland

If your belly prevents full deflection of the elevator, then either the aircraft design or your BMI are at fault

I find it interesting that Cessna is publicizing a diesel 172, with a different engine, given my understanding of the development issues that have led to them having yet to ship a single diesel 182. My guess is this could be a fall back strategy.

That said, there have been some funny engines installed in the 172 airframe, geared O-300 in the Skylark and the N-model with its H2AD and pressed rockers etc, but this is the first with a rubber cam drive belt!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Jul 21:53
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message