Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electric / hybrid aircraft propulsion (NOT cars)

I did some digging around that diesel engine powered electric car charger above because it was alleged elsewhere that the photo (which is all over the internet) is fake.

Looking at this it appears it is not a fake, and there is more detail there. Well, unless it is a more elaborate hoax…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

First of all, no electric car accepts 350kW of charging power, say max 125kW.

The Taycan accepts up to 270kW on DC fast charge and 260kW in recuperative braking.

T28
Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Looking at this it appears it is not a fake

Looks very real. It’s an off the shelves DC charger hooked on to an off the shelves diesel generator. Cool

It reminds of a TV show last summer. Two “funny guys” drove around Norway, from the very south to the very north, with a small electric Peugeot van, meeting all kinds of people along their way. This van has a tiny range, so they needed to charge it even between chargers. They drove off the usual “tracks”. They way they solved it was with a small diesel generator. But, it had to be “green”. Part of the story was therefore that they used old bio-oil for the generator. This oil they begged from road kitchens and restaurants along the way. Old chips frying oil essentially (with highly dubious quality of course)

Last Edited by LeSving at 09 Jul 10:20
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

There’s talk of using electric aircraft on Orkney inter-island routes.
Batteries charged from windmills. Partial top-ups possible at island stops. Present day twin with engines replaced with electric motors.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Today’s news [in german] tell that German DHL ordered 12 Eviation Alice [link to Wikipedia]

It shall have a payload of 1500kg and fly up to 450nm. This might draw a totally different net of night flights over Germany, because at present DHL operates quite centralized with big planes and big airports.

One hour of flight of the Alice necessitates two hours for recharging batteries. Will be interesting to see, if this can be operated based on market economy principles, or if it is only done for some sort of “greenwashing”, but with negligible effect on transportation. Will be maybe somewhat in between.

Last Edited by UdoR at 03 Aug 12:36
Germany

Has it flown yet?

The Wikipedia entry you link to says a payload of 1100kg rather than 1500kg.

In the absence of a statement to the contrary I would assume the quoted range is to total battery exhaustion with no reserve.

EGLM & EGTN

According to the article, first flight is planned end of this year. Seems to be quite far developed, there are only some months remaining. The article indicates the numbers I’ve given, and I too noticed that Wikidepia mentions smaller payload. I have no further insight in it. Just found it interesting, that indeed a quite big company decided to somehow invest in electroflight.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

According to the article, first flight is planned end of this year. Seems to be quite far developed, there are only some months remaining. The article indicates the numbers I’ve given, and I too noticed that Wikidepia mentions smaller payload. I have no further insight in it. Just found it interesting, that indeed a quite big company decided to somehow invest in electroflight.

I believe that getting a big-name launch customer is part of the greenwashed venture capital consumption process.

These things are always light on the detail, and if it’s in keeping with usual aviation practice then it’ll be that DHL has placed an in-principle order for a product that has not quite yet been achieved and which will only be fulfilled and paid for if certain specifications and performance criteria are met.

Always willing to be pleasantly surprised, but PROB90 they never meet the specs and the ‘order’ first becomes delayed and then eventually cancelled after a certain time elapses. Either that or DHL has committed the money now (for them it is peanuts for some excellent green publicity) because otherwise the project would collapse, and if it needs this sort of financial intervention to keep going then it suggests that the more usual sources of funding have lost interest.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

and if it needs this sort of financial intervention to keep going then it suggests that the more usual sources of funding have lost interest.

? Surely DHL coming along as a potential customer injecting money into the project is a huge, major deal for development. As to why DHL do this, that’s irrelevant. The project has to deliver in the end to be a success no matter what. Getting money for the project is all that counts, as this will increase the chances of success. Money is money, no matter the color (“green”, black or white )

This one is in production now, you can go and purchase one.

OSM Aviation uses the eFlyer as a trainer already.

The Slovenian air force will use the electric Velis from Pipistrel as a trainer. The Danish air force is purchasing two for evaluation.

Lots and lots of money is channeling down to thousands of engineers all over the globe working on electric flight in hundreds/thousands of projects. For any engineer at any age, this is a dream situation to be in; develop new aircraft and systems from scratch that the world has never seen before, and with investors begging to give you money. Obviously only relatively few will succeed in the end with commercial products, but from the developing engineer’s point of view, that’s irrelevant.

Last Edited by LeSving at 04 Aug 08:24
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The project has to deliver in the end to be a success no matter what.

That’s my point. Most such projects do not ever deliver a product for sale and are quietly abandoned. The onboarding of a big name launch customer does not necessarily change this.

I’m sure it’s all very exciting. But I’ll get more excited when I hear that “X is happening” rather than “X is planned”, because a lot of things are planned….

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message