Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Jacko, to answer your question about the Isle of Man or Norway being involved in this, I cannot speak for Norway but I made enquiries two years ago about the Isle of Man and the situation is Isle of Man resident pilots/operators are not subject to these regulations.
As you might expect it’s horribly complicated but the EU/EASA regulation are all based around residency. If you are an EU resident then the regulations apply to you. Isle of Man residents are not EU residents so they don’t apply. The status of the Isle of Man is summed up here:

The Isle of Man is NOT part of the United Kingdom. The Isle of Man is a Crown Dependency, which means that it is technically a possession of the crown directly, not of the UK. It is also not a territory of the UK like Bermuda or the Falkland Islands. The British didn’t technically conquer Mann in the same way they did Ireland or other countries in the empire. The Lord of Mann was the titular ruler of the island until 1765 when the feudal rights were purchased by the crown and the title was transferred to George I. Today, the Queen still has the title of Lord of Mann (even though she is a woman, she is still known as Lord, not Lady). When doing the Loyal Toast on the Isle of Man, they toast the Lord of Mann, not the Queen or King. They do use the British Pound and the UK does have the responsibility of the defense of the island. They are not members of the European Union.

I’m fairly sure this is true of the Channel Islands too but too complicated to be certain.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

Just got this from SAC:

So, I don’t think

Guys it is a declaration not an application

is quite the case. The intention of the writer is to f-k the N-reg community: “enabling affected pilots sufficient time to return to the UK, typically from Friedrichshafen”.

It is pretty weird.

Also the CAA docs are being edited continually.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So, we can take as a ‘given’ now that the UK CAA is introducing some new conditions before allowing FAA pilots to continue using their certificates to fly in the UK.
The key questions, however, are whether other NAAs across Europe are also:

• treating the matter as an airspace one, and
  • introducing any new rules of their own (rather than simply extending the deferral period as has been done before)

There seems little point in jumping through the hoops put up by the UK CAA, only to find that other NAAs have also introduced their own additional requirements to use their airspace. It would make European touring very impractical.

Can anyone throw any light on the approach being adopted by their NAA?

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Peter wrote:

So, I don’t think

Guys it is a declaration not an application
is quite the case. The intention of the writer is to f-k the N-reg community: “enabling affected pilots sufficient time to return to the UK, typically from Friedrichshafen”.

I still think it is Peter. The problem is that to make the declaration you need an EASA examiner to sign the form which is why apparently the CAA realised that grounding UK pilots at Aero Expo created a bit of a problem. My point is that it does not appear to me that you must wait for some sort of permission after filing, you must just file the form.

An even bigger issue seems to be that many CAAs have not done anything about the subject so FAA pilots are grounded there without any mechanism to get flying again if they want to fly N-reg outside their own country in Europe.

Last Edited by JasonC at 08 Apr 13:59
EGTK Oxford

You also need to get yourself an FAA Class 2 medical, or an EASA Class 2 medical. By 15th April.

Administrator

Strikes me:

1. There is a (currently) indefinite exemption pending a proposed bilateral – seems good??

2. All actually required now is a form to confirm a class two medical and a sign-off from a CAA examiner on airlaw and ATC procedure – if you have an EASA licence and medical, seems straightforward??

3. IN-2017/013 confuses the matter by tagging on as “Further Information” forms SRG2141 and SRG2139 (actually has SRG2140 ref just to cause more confusion!) which I presume you only need to use if you actually want to go the validation route.

Interestingly, it seems that if you can say you will fly for under 28 days, you can effectively get validated on the basis of an “acclimatisation flight” and it doesn’t say you can’t then use your FAA IR or is this just more bad drafting? So, does this mean that provided that I only use my FFA IR in anger (eg in Class A) for less than 28 days a year and at all other times can fly under the privileges of my EASA MEP/IR(R) then I won’t (ever) need to do an IR skill test??

Think the CAA should be made to an “English Proficiency” test!

Instantaneously introducing a new law without notice that has implications in relation to both ICAO and EU treaty obligations, then within a couple of days delaying it slightly because the regulator becomes aware in real time of an commercial event that may be attended by a few UK private pilots? It’s disturbingly strange.

Operating at that level maybe I think they might consider moving to a career in kindergarten management or painting contractor scheduling.

It does seem to be a self declaration rather than an application. This page has appeared on the CAA’s own website which says that FAA certificate holders must ‘self-declare’.

http://www.caa.co.uk/News/New-Guidance-on-Third-Country-Licences/

In my case I just came back from my local flying school where the CFI was happy to sign the theoretical-knowledge declaration on form SRG2140 on the basis of my CAA PPL and IMC licence. Hence compliance has been relatively easy and I guess others with 61.75 licences would find the same, but I do feel for for those who have FAA licences only.

What is the situation with this elsewhere in Europe? I glanced through the original EU regulation 1178/2011 which provided for a more onerous mechanism for holders of third-country licences to have such licences validated for use in Europe. It reads as though the validation process can be carried out by any EU member state on behalf of EASA, and then presumably the validated licence would by good for airspace anywhere in Europe. This week’s notices from the CAA are merely an exception to those rules, with the biggest exception being for for FAA certificate holders. But the exception only talks about UK airspace. What happened to the application of 1178/2011 in other EU states?

Liverpool, Barton

One immediate solution, uk vfr only, possibly France, is the nppl.

But it isn’t valid for an N reg outside the UK.

Administrator

Harry wrote:

But the exception only talks about UK airspace. What happened to the application of 1178/2011 in other EU states?

As far as I understand although EASA have planned another extension of the deadline for article 12(4) of (EU) 1178/2011 to April 8th 2019, the extension has not yet been voted and published in the OJ. At least I have not found any trace of such an amendment having been adopted.

Therefore, as of today, it looks like no EU resident may operate an aircraft in the EU solely based on the privileges of a 3rd country (FAA) license.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 08 Apr 15:42
LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message