Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

No, you do not need to submit an SRG2140. Nor do you need to make an equivalent declaration to an EASA MS.

The FAA will require you to operate under the privileges of the US pilot certificate whenever the aircraft flies outside of the country which issued the EASA licence.

Pilots of third-country aircraft, except annex I aircraft, only need an EASA licence/validation/declaration when the operator, typically meaning the pilot, resides in the EU/EFTA.

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

No, you do not need to submit an SRG2140. Nor do you need to make an equivalent declaration to an EASA MS.

The FAA will require you to operate under the privileges of the US pilot certificate whenever the aircraft flies outside of the country which issued the EASA licence.

Many thanks, what a nightmare it is, trying to stay legal these days
G

United Kingdom

ORS4 No 1490 has just come out.

If I understand it right, they are extending existing SRG2140/2142 declarations (which would expire in June 2021) until Dec 2021, without any action required from the pilot.

They say: There will be no further alleviations provided unless the conditions for such an alleviation in article 71(1) of the retained Basic Regulation apply. Can anyone work out what that means?

This CAA page is also related.

There is some ambiguous stuff there, some dead links, and this bit is really weird:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“With effect of 22 December 2021 FAA Airmen Certificate holders who permanently reside within the UK, cannot operate on the basis of such a certificate within United Kingdom airspace, such certificate holder must convert to a lifetime UK Part-FCL licence, or apply for a 12 months validation certificate (renewable only once), should they want to continue operating in UK airspace”.

I assume “convert” involves written tests and flight tests plus UK medical etc.

Is there any proposal for a UK-FAA bilateral agreement?

United Kingdom

So N reg based in the UK, EASA licence with a FAA 61.75 piggyback, is this affected.

As I understand it if you are a permanent resident in the UK and wish to fly within UK airspace then you have to have a CAA FCL – irrespective of where the aircraft is registered.
If you have a UK PPL with and FAA piggyback addition then no problem, however if for example you have a UK PPL without IR but use an FAA issued licence with instrument rating you will no longer be able use those IR privileges to fly IFR in the UK – you must get/convert/be relieved of a significant amount of cash and acquire a UK instrument rating.

Last Edited by Xlr8tr at 25 May 07:28
EGLL, EGLF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Yep. So, in other words, all is, or let’s say, will be, exactly as it is in EASA-land.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Xlr8tr
As I understand it if you are a permanent resident in the UK and wish to fly within UK airspace then you have to have a CAA FCL – irrespective of where the aircraft is registered.

I think you are right – although I await the wise wisdom of others on this forum for which I am very appreciative.
As well as needing a U.K. license (if resident in the U.K.) to fly within U.K. airspace, I also sense it means such a person cannot use their FAA IR in the U.K. unless it is attached/converted to a CAA license.
As I read it, though, if flying an ‘N’ plane from/to the U.K. – and if one has dual licenses (CAA and FAA, either Stand-Alone or ‘Piggyback’ – one could file/fly on a Zulu/Yankee Flight Plan, using one’s IR(R) to the U.K. FAA boundary, and then exercise one’s IR within the rest of Europe.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Is my understanding above correct in that no action is required until Dec 2021, for those who have a currently filed SRG2140/2142? It states

which to me is 100% clear.

If so, then we have the same old derogation until Dec 2021 as we, and most of the “significant” countries in the EU, have been doing since 2011.

What happens Dec 2021, nobody knows. Obviously the current position is and always has been that in the absence of a derogation you have to get yourself the dual papers. And that discussion has been running since 2011, when I obtained my insurance, and a load of people took the p1ss out of me for doing it unnecessarily

My money is on a continuation of the derogation, for the same reasons that it has been running for last 10 years.

On the political landscape, nothing has changed. The EASA-FAA license treaty never happened (in a useful way) and of course those of us familiar with the Euro regulatory political climate “always knew” there would never be such a treaty. It was always about “bilateralism” and the usual posturing which the EU is heavily into even if the other party has nothing to gain (which in turn ensures the treaty will never happen but the EU comes out looking nice and fair).

And now the UK is out of the EU so presumably working on a UK-FAA treaty. This must be familiar territory – there has been a whole pile of those, going back decades, which got forcibly terminated by Brussels when the UK joined EASA; actually JAA before that although they didn’t quite manage it – but it will be out out of the media spotlight. But again the UK will never do a fully mutual-acceptance treaty with the US for the same reasons the EU wouldn’t: it is a political hot potato.

Yes sure; if you have a UK PPL+IMCR+medical and an FAA PPL+IR+medical then you can fly your N-reg in the UK (VFR, and IFR in Class D-G; not on any Eurocontrol IFR FP for obvious practical/airspace reasons) and outside the UK FIR you can fly it fully IFR because, being UK based, you are outside the EASA FCL “based in the Community” wording; as far as the mainland is concerned you are a “total foreigner”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yes sure; if you have a UK PPL+IMCR+medical and an FAA PPL+IR+medical then you can fly your N-reg in the UK (VFR, and IFR in Class D-G; not on any Eurocontrol IFR FP for obvious practical/airspace reasons) and outside the UK FIR you can fly it fully IFR because, being UK based, you are outside the EASA FCL “based in the Community” wording; as far as the mainland is concerned you are a “total foreigner”

If by UK PPL you mean UK PART-FCL license, then (after accruing 50hr PIC IFR XC) an FAA IR holder (ICAO IR) can read a single book (no classroom, no exams) and pass the IR checkride to obtain full IR in the UK.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message