Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

France did not keep its national licence.
Shame in some ways as the old TT was much nicer than the current bit of thin cardboard which is the EASA licence.

France

Peter wrote:

the LAPL

Btw, do you know if there is mutual acceptance of the LAPL between the UK and EASA?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The UK LAPL is probably valid in an N-reg and is thus suitable as a means of compliance with the UK dual papers requirement.

Whether the EASA LAPL is valid in some EASA member country, for an N-reg, I have no idea.

Very few people have got the LAPL and I am sure far fewer will be getting an LAPL to continue flying an N-reg because the LAPL is worthless unless you can make use of the fairly narrow medical concessions:

• different vision standards (very little difference AFAICT)
  • different blood pressure standards
  • no routine ECG
  • different standard for colour vision (don’t ask – no rational imo)
  • different period of validity (2 years if over 50)
  • In UK only – can be issued by GP (but not if you don’t meet PMD Standard)
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Now as a resident of EASA-land it seems at last the long-looming requirement to add an EASA IR to my standalone FAA IR will have to be tackled before 20 June next.

My question here is, where should I go to get this dealt with, and the proficiency test done, with the least amount of hassle? I don’t want to be revenue fodder for some FTO. Any recommendations?

Having a N-registered IFR-capable aircraft I would hope this can all be done in my own aircraft.

My logbook shows 166 hours of “IFR” by which I recorded flight under instrument flight rules, but a good part of this was done in others’ aircraft so I’m not sure how I could demonstrate supporting data such as flight plans at this stage, years later. Maybe I should start with screen grabs of my Autorouter account.
Perversely it seems UK airspace will be the only nearby one where I can fly under IFR after 20 June, unless I deal with the conversion. Actuallly I’m in two minds whether the whole conversion issue and need for annual revalidations are worth the trouble. I’ve mostly used IFR FPLs for access to airways rather than adverse weather.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

You have just the CB IR conversion to do. No exams, oral test with the examiner, and a checkride.

That’s assuming you have an Irish PPL and the Irish Class 2 medical, otherwise you have to do those also.

Check out your local CAA’s acceptance criteria for the 50hrs IFR PIC and post them here too, please

Most European pilots use the IR to get into CAS, and to get ATC to support them properly, not to fly in IMC

Administrator

I hear you, but it‘s just one of those things that one has to get done. Afterwards, you will not think back any more. The effort isn‘t too big (although the annual IR revalidations are a pain).

What exactly you will have to do will depend a bit on the NAA where you have your EASA PPL (if you already have one) or the NAA you want to go with for your EASA PPL (if you don‘t have one yet). You then have to ask that CAA what the exact procedure will be.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Jan 18:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Just one more practical obstacle newly erected by some faceless committee, not because the status quo was unsafe but because bureaucracy hungers for control.
Yes due to the UK leaving EASA I was forced to change my SOLI from the UK to Ireland so my IR(R) went up in smoke. Irish EASA ppl now and Class 2 medical.

I will ask around about others’ experiences before any communication with the IAA about what they require to demonstrate 50 hours IFR PIC.

As I understand that any EASA instrument examiner can do the test (if foreign, maybe with clearance from the IAA) I’m looking for suitable suggestions?

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Every NAA has a bit of its own own way how this must be demonstrated, but generally, you just do this with your logbook and that’s it. The case of NL where they go beyond that seem extraordinary.

Why look for a non-IAA examiner? Don‘t make it more complicated than necessary, I would suggest.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If you live in Ireland, and fly an N-reg, then you need the EASA papers. Sounds like you already have those, but not the IR.

IR(R)/IMCR would be no use for IFR outside the UK. Within the UK it is of very marginal use because in Class G nobody cares what you do, VMC/IMC/whatever, and the only detectable “legality benefit” of the IMCR is that you can fly an IAP in “real IMC”, particularly in Class D, in a way which draws attention to yourself.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

You have just the CB IR conversion to do. No exams, oral test with the examiner, and a checkride.

Unfortunately the Irish Aviation Authority has decided that the IR theory exams are necessary even for ICAO IR holders who have 50 PIC IFR hours.

IAA PLAM 009 rev. 00 dated 21 Jun 2019. Emphasis added below.
Index of IAA PLAMs (link).

6.5 Theoretical Knowledge Examination for Competency Based Instrument
Ratings (CBIR)

6.5.1. With reference to EU Part-FCL Appendix 6 – “Modular training
courses for the IR” – inserted section “Aa. IR — Competency-based
modular flying training course”, paragraph 8 states that -“Applicants
for the competency-based modular IR holding a Part-FCL PPL or CPL
and a valid IR issued in compliance with the requirements of Annex
1 to the Chicago Convention by a third country may be credited in full
towards the training course mentioned in paragraph 4”. For the
avoidance of any confusion, the IAA has decided that such applicants
will not be exempt from the pass in the theoretical knowledge
examinations required by the preceding paragraph 3 of that section. As
the PBN theoretical knowledge content of third country IR training
syllabi has not been verified, the simple way to ensure compliance
with EU Part-FCL PBN competency requirements is for the applicant to
pass the EU Part-FCL IR theoretical knowledge examinations.

6.5.2 Any applicant presenting to the IAA for issue of a CBIR (whether
initial issue or issue on transfer of SOLI) must be able to provide
proof of a pass the EU Part-FCL IR theoretical knowledge examinations.

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 03 Jan 14:28
London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message