Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

I think we should do a fly-in to Scotland and congratulate Maoraigh on what must be an amazing life story. EGPE is Inverness

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Scotland is on my to-do list but I guess in summer.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Life expectancy at 103 is 1.81 years so you can do what you like

Administrator

I’m now worried about the money I’ll have wasted if I expire before the Class 2 does.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Unlikely, given that from the above table you have another 8 years to run

The only way to expire (in the actuarial sense) before your medical would be to run on the NPPL and the medical self declaration, whose medical portion never expires

Administrator

One thought regarding BMI and longevity is that mildly obese people are probably generally moderately healthy, but thinner people will include both the sort of 80 year olds you meet whilst hiking mountains, but also the people with COPD from smoking all their lives (this makes you thin but unhealthy) or people with as yet undiagnosed cancers (these may also make you thin). As Maioraigh points out, having a bit of a metabolic reserve can help you survive an illness that may otherwise kill you.

Statisticians obviously try to tease apart all these issues, but epidemiology is a hard science and sometimes we ask more of it than it can deliver IMO.

The simple point about weight is that carrying a (little) bit into old age gives your a degree of protection.

Not only do you have something to lose when you become ill rather than wasting away, but when you start to fall (like all elderly people do) then you don’t smash yourself up as much.

I am trying to encourage my slim 76yr old father to lift a few gentle weights and bulk up a touch as he heads towards his 80s. Being skinny and frail at that age is not a recipe for longevity…

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

Inverness

Four and twenty virgins, down from Inverness….

…look it up :-)

A Scottish flyout would be wonderful.

EGLM & EGTN

An interesting study on the association between BMI gain in early adulthood, and all kinds of diseases later on. However, it is possible that the surprising results may be to do with greater susceptibility of the Chinese to insulin resistance. For higher BMI numbers the association is widely established in European studies also.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message