Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

Ah, the keto one?

Comprehensively discredited, and unsustainable long-term. All these diets (e.g. Atkins) can do a short-term “fix” but only a straight plant based one is sustainable, works without hunger, and has no downsides for health (any aspect of it), short or long term.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would maintain that all diets of any kind are unnecessary, humans are omnivores (just like pigs, incidentally) and there is no need to unnecessarily restrict oneself to certain kinds of food.

Alas, the longest life span will be reached with a BMI of 25-27 kg/m^2, which is…slightly overweight .

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Plant only definitely has a downside if your age / lifestyle requires large ish amounts of protein – I was just talking at lunch with a friend of mine (2x gold medalist on paralimpics) who had to give up veganism (is body “demanded” it apparently). He started feeling in better shape immediately.

I’ve lost a decent amount of weight going mostly plant, but I think it’s mostly because I cut on the casseroles (tagines, bourguignon, etc).

I’ve since reintroduced some high quality / sustainable meat

and haven’t gained any fat, but muscle mass went up fairy quickly.

I think it’s mostly a question of balanced diet, which most people don’t follow at all.

the longest life span will be reached with a BMI of 25-27 kg/m^2, which is…slightly overweight

I don’t doubt that statistic as given in grammatical isolation, but what about the quality of life in the last few decades? I know a man who is 86, so he’s done well. The “small detail” is that he is in a wheelchair, one leg amputated (diabetes) and the other one looking like it will fall off by itself. Cost to taxpayer? Massive. Pop into any hospital or a doctor’s waiting room (N Europe) and that is what you see. Except in wealthy countryside clinics, it resembles a scene from Mad Max. Many are “young”, too (50s, 60s).

I think it’s mostly a question of balanced diet, which most people don’t follow at all.

I think the problem with “balanced diet” is that it can very conveniently mean anything to anybody, which is why it is a useless concept unless you know exactly what you are doing.

He started feeling in better shape immediately.

For that level of exertion, I am not surprised. But that’s well under 1% of the population, probably.

Administrator

Well, the reality is that 80% of all vegans give it up eventually, because of severe deficiencies and health problems. Statistics show they don’t live longer or suffer less heart disease or cancer either. I’ve myself gone the opposite direction recently. I eat once a day, and then mainly protein. I avoid starchy vegetables, fruit or too much fiber (which the body can’t process) etc. It is clear that the culprit in the western diet is sugar and the metabolic disease and insulin resistance that comes with that. Doctor’s like Robert Lustig, Jason Fung, Peter Attia and Dom D’Agostino make a lot of very convincing scientific sense for eliminating that. Which means eliminating or reducing carbohydrates, too. There are no “heart healthy” cereals to be had.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 23 Jun 06:42

Plant based is not vegan

Many or most vegans these days are “ideological” ones, and they eat lots of sweets, cakes, etc.

Administrator

Agreed, most vegans are in effect “carboholics” with a huge sugar intake. They add lots of sugary fruit to their sweetened granola and their sweetened coconut yoghurt for breakfast thinking they’re being healthy. It’s like eating dessert.

White Coat Hypertension

Every medical I always have some trouble with my blood pressure readings – my actual BP is fine as I have home readings and a 24 hour ambulatory every year for medical, it’s just the recurring stress of thinking about it being bad that elevates it at the check! Any one else have tips or strategies in tackling it – I suppose it is a subconscious anxiety reaction. My doctor tells me some research is now worrying about white coat hypertension as an indicator now as well which doesn’t fill me with reassurance!

Now retired from forums best wishes

Lots of people have similar, nobody really likes being poked around at a medical!

Can you take your BP for a couple of weeks before the medical and take the readings with you if the AME questions it?

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

A recognised syndrome. It is almost impossible for you to control it, other than total mind-fullness. (and even then doubtful).

Explain to the person conducting the medical that you feel you do suffer from raised blood pressure due to White Coat and they should be fine with it.They are trained professionals and should see the signs.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 30 Aug 17:37
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message